Help! How long to cure?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Help! How long to cure?

Postby castramon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:23 pm

Hi

Can anyone help me on how long to brine a ham for. I have used the Honey Roast ham cure available here and have various size hams from 1 - 5kg all sitting in the brine. Hugh F-W says for his brine 1 days for 2kg + 12hrs per kg after. This doesn't seem long and I see a post on your site saying 3 days per 500grms. Now I'm totally confused! :?

Please help...due off on holiday in a week and wondering whether I need to leave instructions for the housesitter :shock:

Thanks
castramon
Newly Registered

Postby unclejoes96 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:08 pm

I am no expert, but have made a few hams with success, I leave them in the brine for 2 weeks turning them on a daily basis. I haven't used the brine mix you are referring to though.
unclejoes96
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:46 pm

Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules, for the smaller joints 1-2 kg about 10 days per kg. The 5 kg one I would give about 4-6 weeks, stiring every 1-2 days
Oddley
Registered Member

Postby castramon » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:48 pm

Thanks for the advice will give them a couple of weeks then for the little ones. Also, are they better left in a barn (temp 3-4 degrees at the moment) or do I need them in the fridge as I've heard if they're too cold it affects the action of the brine? On the other hand don't want to invite trouble leaving them at that temp for weeks.

Thanks for any advice
castramon
Newly Registered

Postby Oddley » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:01 pm

If you keep them at a temp of 2-4 oC they will be at a safe temp and you will not be inviting trouble.
Oddley
Registered Member

Return to Beginners