Bacon has gone bad - not properly cured?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Bacon has gone bad - not properly cured?

Postby frenchian2 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:07 am

Hi, folks, can I ask for some help?

I've been making bacon for 5/6 years, and never had a problem till now. I use belly of pork, trimmed of bone, skin and excess fat. I dry cure it with a cure like Saucissons (21g salt, 10g sugar and 0.2g saltpetre per kilo). It gets one day per 1/2" in a ziplock bag in the fridge, turned daily. Then, it gets rinsed and left in the bottom of the fridge for another 2-4 days.

At this stage, I normally smoke it, but with this batch I had no time (had to go away over Xmas) so I got my butcher to slice it then vac-pack it. This went into the fridge. When I opened it yesterday, it was off - a very nasty smell from the bag.

I need to know why. Apart from the lack of amoking, it was exactly the same recipe and quantities as before. I've had it vac-packed before and it worked. I'm wondering if the curing didn't work properly (it drew much less liquid than usual - relevant?). Is the cure too old (I mixed this batch maybe 2 years ago)?

Any ideas and help will be appreciated.

Thanks
frenchian2
Registered Member

Re: Bacon has gone bad - not properly cured?

Postby badjak » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:44 am

I am not the best one to help, but since nobody replied yet I will give it a try.

The first thought that came to my mind was some contamination somewhere, maybe a dirty knife/slicer/container (after taking it out of the brine)?

Why do you keep your bacon for 2 days in the bottom of the fridge fridge after removing it from the brine ?
I would just leave it to dry for a bit before smoking, not 2 days though.
Since you have always done it, it probably has nothing to do with it going off, but just wondering.

I also brine a bit longer. Closer to a week than 3-4 days. did the bacon feel firm when you took it out of the brine?

Just some ideas, hope you can do something with it
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:30 pm

Sorry, I missed this post. I don't know why this didn't work if it normally does. However, three observations:

• I don't think that the amount of liquid it gave off is too relevant, although, and it's a long shot, I wonder whether it's indicative of meat that wasn't as fresh as you normally get and so was dryer to start with?
  • Saltpetre has to react with the meat to convert from nitrate to nitrite before it can do it's job. It likes temps around 5 - 8°C (preferably nearer 8°C) to do this. It can also take a while to start working. Recommended curing times for saltpetre based dry cures often have a minimum cure/mature time of 10 days.
  • Premixing the cure in bulk when it contains such a low percentage of saltpetre could have meant that very little got on to the meat due to uneven distribution of the saltpetre within the mix.
I hope this helps.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby frenchian2 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Guys, sorry it's taken so long to respond, I wasn't notified that there were any replies.

@badjak - it was a dry cure but yes, post cure contamination is possible. I'm assuming the butcher's slicer was clean (I hope so!) so maybe I was a bit careless.

The reason I leave it for two days after curing is to allow the salt levels in the meat to stabilise. I read somewhere to do this (I think it was Krib's advice) when I first started. Also, the meat was in the (dry) cure for 5-6 days - I forgot to mention the 2 extra days in the calculation (again, Krib).

@wheels - bad meat is possible, but the meat came from my usual butcher, and I've never had a problem before.

Maybe the bottom of the fridge is slightly too cool, (but again, never had a problem before). What I might do is leave it out for 2-3 days, to help it get started, then into the fridge. Plus, give it a bit longer curing time once it's in the fridge.

Yes, an uneven distribution is possible, but as the mix callls for so little saltpetre, I need to do it in bulk if I'm to measure the saltpetre accurately - and I do mix it well. Guess I could buy a set of v-accurate scales (as used by people selling different white powder.......!)

Thanks, both for the help. Just off to smoke the replacement batch - will give it a good sniff before I start.

Cheers
frenchian2
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:46 pm

Yes, that's a problem with saltpetre. Could you use cure #1 or even sel-nitrite (sp?) instead?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby frenchian2 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:34 am

@Wheels

Well, I bought 250g of Saltpetre from the chemist 6 years ago, and I still have around 220g left! Seems a shame to waste it...

But yes, I guess it'd be safer to use Cure#1 - I'll order some.

Cheers
frenchian2
Registered Member

Return to Beginners