Ready to go - last questions

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Ready to go - last questions

Postby Swing Swang » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:25 am

It's all about to happen sometime soon...

Curing chamber now made and working.
Meat on order and ingredients sorted. Will use 10kg of shoulder pork put through the coarsest plate by my local Booker's.
Read Marianski's books (as well as a few others).
Have made some bacon just to get the feel of things and to ensure the curing chamber works.
Have some LS-25 culture in the freezer and casings in the fridge.

Chouriço day is 31 January.

Now I don't really know a huge amount about the LS-25 as it's not specifically mentioned in Marianski's book.
Anyone know where I can download a data sheet, what the optimal fermentation temperature is (I was going to start at 72hrs at 20C, 95% relative humidity).

Looking to the future was this the best culture to have chosen? Once I've build up confidence would you stay with a culture or try without?

When made in the Alentejo I'm guessing that the culture comes from a combination of the red wine that is added and the naturally fermented/salted bell pepper paste (massa de pimentão) that make up the farce.
I'm electing to use Spanish smoked pimenton because I've no way of calculating the salt content of the home-made paste that I've brought back from Portugal (on asking family how to calculate salt content in the farce they just tell me to do it by taste - but of course they have the experience, and I don't...).

Thanks

SS
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Re: Ready to go - last questions

Postby johngaltsmotor » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:28 pm

http://wateetons.com/wp-content/uploads ... AT2013.pdf

pages 23 and 25 have graphs for LS25. Hope that helps.
Pigs are magical creatures.... they turn vegetables into BACON!!
johngaltsmotor
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:09 pm

That's very helpful information for our members johngaltsmotor, thank you. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Swing Swang » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks - interesting document - will post again once things are curing/drying as I'm using a Trixie vivarium controller to run the curing chamber which might be of interest.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:59 pm

I'm guessing that you're not UK based, but over here we can get small tubular heaters that are cheap, robust and great for this job:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hylite-1ft-Eco- ... 00ID7UF7A/

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Swing Swang » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:45 pm

Wheels - actually I am based in the UK - I'll amend my profile to include this.

The controller that I'm using is:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trixie-Thermost ... emperature

Which seemed like a nice easy 'plug and play' option instead of going down the WH8040/STC-1000 route.

The only disadvantage is that the Trixie can either be used to cool down to a temperature (switch fridge on/off) OR warm up to a temperature (switch heater on/off) as the cooler OR heater are plugged into the same socket. i.e. it cannot be programmed to relay between heating and cooling cycles without first unplugging the heater and plugging the cooler into the same socket (and vice versa). This doesn't seem to be too much of a problem, but it may be necessary to leave a 25W heater on permanently depending on ambient temperature/target temperature/target humidity.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:46 pm

Sorry, the guys in the US use a vivarium heat bulb for fermenting, hence the confusion.

I don't see an issue with only having one output for the thermostat. If you use the fridge for fermenting, you'd turn the fridge off and use a heat source to achieve the temps required.

When drying/maturing, you'd plug it back in and use the box to control the fridge temp.

Very soon you'll realise that it can't do both and that to maintain a steady flow of goodies you need separate chambers for both! That's compounded by all the new friends that appear when they find out what you're making!

Is the hygrostat a single outlet, or are there two? When I posted the details of the tube heater, I was thinking of it to control humidity. When the fridge motor is running the humidity lowers, so: High humidity - heater kicks in - higher heat makes fridge motor run - humidity lowers. But that's part of the drying process rather than fermenting.

What's the pig? OSB? Tamworth?

I look forward to reading more.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Swing Swang » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:45 am

The pig is an OSB that I took at Oaklands Pigs when I went on one of their husbandry courses back in 2013.
Hopefully will be in a position to get some weaners in 2017/2018 - that's the plan anyway.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:52 pm

Ah, I thought it was, they're lovely pigs.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners