152 degrees

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

152 degrees

Postby vaj13 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi,

Made first cured sausage yesterday, Kielbasa from a 60/40 mix of venison/pork. Turned out very good. Used cure and pulled it at 152 degrees then into an immediate cold water bath.

My question is about the 152 degrees which I can not find a straight answer. If you use a cure, and one part of the sausage never reached 152 degrees (say part furthest from heating element) and it was cold water bathed right away to prevent further cooking, is that a concern?

I can tell you getting close to the end I was more nervous about going over 152 too much with fears of fat melting away leaving me dried out garbage.

If 152 degrees IS a firm floor therefore I imagine you should go to 155-160 to be safe? And use two thermometers also for insurance?

Want to feel comfortable sharing with friends and feeding my kids

Thanks-
vaj13
Newly Registered

Re: 152 degrees

Postby DanMcG » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:36 pm

I go hotter, 156°-160° and let it hang there for a while to be sure they are all up to temp. I also don't exceed 175° while smoking, so temp rise is slow and if one is there then they probably are all up to temp.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D I also aim for the range Dan indicates so that I can consider the sausage "cooked" ; if you don't think you reached the temperature for "cooked", just treat the sausage as a raw product and know that the shelf life is shorter and that the sausages should be cooked or frozen in a week or so. I don't see this as much as safe to eat problem (since you did use cure), but the shelf life is shorter.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby vaj13 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:12 am

Thanks. We vacuum pack right away so don't let it sit around to spoil. Also will cook until splits open on grill when defrosted.

It seems I was too worried about the fat melting and ruining the sausage and it appears there is a little more cushion here than I had thought.

Also thanks for the confirmation that since cure was used, product is safe, but longevity would be my concern which is something I never thought of.
vaj13
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners