Do I need to add rusk when using Franco's Seasoning Mixes?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Do I need to add rusk when using Franco's Seasoning Mixes?

Postby boudin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:39 pm

I am planning on making some Lincolnshire sausages this weekend using Franco's Seasoning mix. The suggested rate is 20-40g per kilo. This suggests to me that I need to add rusk. I intend to add rusk at 50g per kilo. Am I correct in this assumption? Also should I be adding water and if so, then how much?
Many thanks

Chris
boudin
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:12 pm

Hi boudin

I have not used one of Franco's mixes yet, but it is on order!

When making sausges you need to use rusk/crumbs 5-10% of meat content as well as seasoning mix. the mix just provides the flavourings!

Water is also best added in roughly equal quantities to rusk, but start with less not more and add it as you need it

Im quite new to this but have learned so much already from being in this forum for a few weeks! If someone more exprienced notices a mistake in my advice please dont let boudin suffer to save my embarassment lol

cheers, Rob
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:20 pm

for an excellent starts guide to sausages check out Paul Kribs' website, with its own sausage making tutorial, I found it to be an excellent beginners guide!!! Commission please paul lol

http://www.btinternet.com/~happydudevir/homemadesausages.html

This is the link you need!

Also if you want recipes/advice the best advice i was given, is to read the site, it take a good long while but its well worth reading!!

(forgot to mention this in my first post)
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:09 am

I originally came to this site to find a recommendation for a good book, but I have decided I don't need one, as it's all here :) .
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby boudin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:45 pm

Rob,
Thanks or the info. I hope to produce my first batch this weekend.

Chris

I should have looked here first http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=1195
boudin
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:12 am

Chris,

Let us know how you get on, you could always post a pic of your first attempt too :D If you want to see my most recent attempts, they are on the "techniques" link under "Linking" :)

Good luck, Rob
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Yorkie_Porkie » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:52 am

Hi Guys,

For an 80% meat content sausage, I go with the following

800g Meat (80%)
65g Rusk (6.5%)
25g Seasoning (2.5%)
110g water or stock (11%)

This gives you 1000g

You can of course change these around and add more rusk or more seasoning or even more meat. Not forgetting that the more rusk you add, you will have to add water/stock too or you could end up with a very dry product.

I have to say that this formula works very well for me and my customers have no complaints at all :D

Rgds,

YP
Yorkie_Porkie
Registered Member

Postby boudin » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:12 pm

My first attempt has had to be postponed untl next weekend. The Wife has decided to make marmalade this weekend and has pushed me out of the kitchen. :roll:

This would give me time to order and receive some black pudding mix in time for next weekend :twisted: - for the sake of domestic harmony I better not. I shall just have to keep on reading this forum and assimilate all the superb information on here.

Chris
boudin
Registered Member

Postby boudin » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:05 pm

Well - I took the plunge yesterday. Lincolnshire, using Franco's mix and Yorkie's ingredient ratios. I am converted :D
All went well, no splits and I even managed to link into 3s!. We had some grilled tonight. They tasted excellent, but perhaps a little salty (yes I did soak the casings). My wife's attitude has changed from "Oh! another fad" to "When are you making the next batch?"
Many thanks to all for their advice.

Chris
boudin
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:15 am

boudin wrote:They tasted excellent, but perhaps a little salty

I had that experience with the herb & garlic seasoning. It was much too salty to my taste, so in future I'll be using half the quantity of this seasoning and adding some extra herbs.

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Return to Beginners