My Smoked Venison Summer needs help!

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

My Smoked Venison Summer needs help!

Postby TomSak » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:27 pm

My name is Tom and I'm a newbe. I�ve been lurking for a while, reading and learning and I must say you guys have an excellent site here. Now to my problem.
This past weekend I made two batches of smoked sausage using recipes from Rytec Kutas� book. The first was a smoked Polish Sausage that turned out absolutely awesome!
The second was a Venison Summer Sausage, this one needs some help. It is a bit on the bland side which of course I can easily fix by upping the spices and salt. The real problem lies in that the texture is all wrong. It seems to me that it is too moist almost under cooked. The recipe called for smoking to an internal temperature of 145�F ~63�C. This seems to me to be a bit low when compared to other recipes. Any help from those more experienced would be much appreciated.

Tom
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. Benjamin Franklin
TomSak
Registered Member

Postby TomSak » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:06 am

BUMP!

Thirty views and no suggestions? Surely you Brits are more opinionated than this!

Again, thanks for any insite you can provide.

Tom
TomSak
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:06 am

cook to a higher internal temp, say 160f/70C+, this will be a safer (more cooked) product to eat and hopefully therefore drier
jpj
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:54 am

Hi TomSak, I think the reason your not geting much info from the UK is because we don't make Summer Sausage here, or know it as something else. And smoker cooking isn't that common either.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:15 am

Hi TomSak so you are from Frankfort in good old Illinois. I use to live just around the corner from there in Richmond, McHenry County, some very good hunting in that area. How small the world is. I might be in that area again this spring to chase some big old gobblers around.

Your summer sausage is a little under cooked that is all. Crank the heat up to 160F to 165F and cook them for about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of the sausage, and you will see that this will make all the difference.
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:50 am

Looking at Len Poli's recipe site, he shows 2 summer sausage recipes. A french cervelat summer sausage and a thuringer sausage, and one brings the temperature to 160� and the other to 165�, so looks like othmar's advice is spot on.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby TomSak » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:51 pm

Next question, can I put one of the already smoked sausages in a low oven and bring it up to a higher internal temperature?

I have about 100 lbs. of venison to grind and a good portion of it was to go into summer sausage so I need to perfect this recipe before I make a large batch of mediocre sausage.

Again thanks for the help.

Othmar, I have a 300 acre "sportsman lease" in Bureau county right on the Illinois river west of Starved Rock State Park. This year we harvested 10 nice Whitetails. The turkeys are really coming back with a vengence in Illinois we see them by the dozen on our land. Thinking of going after a Tom this spring.

Tom
TomSak
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:00 pm

TomSak wrote:Next question, can I put one of the already smoked sausages in a low oven and bring it up to a higher internal temperature?

I have about 100 lbs. of venison to grind and a good portion of it was to go into summer sausage so I need to perfect this recipe before I make a large batch of mediocre sausage.

Again thanks for the help.

Othmar, I have a 300 acre "sportsman lease" in Bureau county right on the Illinois river west of Starved Rock State Park. This year we harvested 10 nice Whitetails. The turkeys are really coming back with a vengence in Illinois we see them by the dozen on our land. Thinking of going after a Tom this spring.

Tom

Hi TomSak, yes you can put your existing sausages in the oven on alow heat but the casing might get thougher too. You also could put them into a pot with water an slowly bring the heat up, which would not thougen the casings but might loose some flavour.

As for the perfect recipe. If you like what you had so far then all you have to do is make sure that you set the temp a little higher than the recipe says. I asume it is a typo, because almost all sausages are cooked around 160F minimum and higher depending and the size of sausage.

I used to hunt in the Starved Rock State Park during Archery Season a couple of times. That much for the animal rights folks claim that hunting is a detriment to animals. Here in BC, Canada we now have for the first time ever a turkey fall and spring season. There never before have been turkeys in Canada and now we have every year more and more. I am busy giving hunting seminars around my home for turkey hunting, since up here hunters do not know how to hunt this birds.

Good on you and congratulations on the bucks. Did they all come running over to your place once the gun season in Starved Rock Park opend? :D
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Return to Beginners