Ground Bay Leaf - Quantities?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Ground Bay Leaf - Quantities?

Postby Swing Swang » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:37 am

Good morning all,

Does anyone have a 'starting point' for using bay powder in a chouriço?. My gut feeling is to start at 5g per kg but as I've never used this ingredient before a starting point would be useful. I'm looking for the flavour of bay to be noticeable and distinct, but not overly strong. The only other flavourings are garlic and bell peppers.

For background the recipe that I've been developing over the last couple of years is quite garlicy (12.5g freshly prepared/grown garlic per kg) but made with with an unsmoked bell pepper paste rather than paprika (60g massa de pimentão per kg) - so the effect from the capsicum is mild to moderate rather than strong. The sausage may/may not have a small amount of piri-piri sauce added, and may/may not be smoked depending on how I'm feeling and how much is left over from previous batches.

Regards

Philip
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Re: Ground Bay Leaf - Quantities?

Postby NCPaul » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:48 am

The Marianskis' book suggests two bay leaves per kilo. What I do with a chicken sausage is to take fresh bay leaves, chop them course, boil them in chicken stock, filter, then use the stock. Let us know what works since this is an interesting question.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby Snags » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:16 pm

Bayleaf can be bitter especially as finely ground powder
yet to take the plunge still researching
Snags
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:28 pm

5g per kg seems far too much. A full Schwartz packet is only 6g.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners