Help needed for greasy casings

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Help needed for greasy casings

Postby Swing Swang » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:57 pm

Unfortunately the latest batch of chouriço has greasy casings.
If I run my fingernail up the casing I get grease on my fingernail.

This is a 15kg batch in beef middles and my guess is that I need to do something about the grease or else they won't dry properly.

This greasy casing are probably due to -
1) My error in setting the fermentation chamber too high for the first 12 hours - 26Degrees +-1C
2) Collapse in fermentation chamber so three of the chouriços ended up touching the element and partially cooking/smearing fat over the rest of the sausages whilst I was cleaning up.

Fortunately I used up the rest of the packet of culture when mixing them at it was coming up to 6 months in the freezer (i.e. 'overdosed' by a factor of three) so at the moment I'm happy that I still have a safe product with a suitably low pH. They were made a couple of weeks ago and I only spotted this problem when I went to take them out of the smoke house today.

My inclination is to scrape them with a wooden spatula, then wipe them down with a vinegar cloth and continue drying.

Any better suggestions?

Regards

Philip
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Return to Beginners