Unwritten rule for beginners

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Unwritten rule for beginners

Postby akesingland » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:38 pm

Hello All

I read somewhere else on the forum that there is an unwritten rule for beginners to post their experiences.

I have at the moment cured two peices of Loin (back) with Franc's tradition cure. The first peice I sourced from Waitrose which still had the little ribs attached. After my amature butchery it was a Kilo, good weight to start with me thinks. However it had very little belly part attached. Followed instrutions to the letter (yes I even got the ruler out!), did not vacpack but put in a ziplock bag in a plasticbox. I dried it for 1 day propped up on some chopsticks. I put it in the freezer for 1.5 hours and sliced it on my new slicer and wrapped it greasproof paper. It tasted fine if a bit dry, I think this was the lack of fat.

Loin two I got from Pinner (Middlesex, UK 10.00-2.00 Sundays) Farmers Market. Cant remember the supplier. Method as before but left it in cure for one day longer as I was tired on the seventh day, so I rested. This bacon was much better.

Those are my experiences so far. Try Franco's mixes they take the worry out. I have ordered Parma ham cure and will have a go with leg of pork or boar if I get to Borough.

Cheers
Adam
akesingland
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:35 am

In general, it's really everyone that posts their efforts, that's the only way that we can find out where we went wrong, or find out a new idea. It sounds like your bacon-making is going quite well, maybe I'll have to give it a try one day.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners