A problem

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

A problem

Postby Wohoki » Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:57 pm

I made a large batch of bangers because I was expecting guests, who cancelled. This means that I have a kilo of sausage extra to my needs, but the problem is that I used frozen pork to make them, so I don't think that freezing them is a good plan. Any thoughts?

One option is to poach them and then freeze them, but I don't know how this is going to affect the final eating qualities, defrosted and finished in the oven. Would I be better off just bunging them in the bin and changing friends? (Possibly using my mates for the next batch of bangers :D )

(BTW it is a nice recipe: lots of fresh South East Asian herbs, based on the Luang Prabang recipe I picked up here: thanks to the poster in question.)
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:18 pm

You could poach them & freeze them as you say, but I would just refreeze them anyway. Provided they have not had any temperature abuse they should be fine

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:59 pm

Cheers for that; it is a concern tho'.

I do work as cold as I can: the meat was still frozen when minced, I chill my mincer/stuffer before I use it and return the meat to the 'fridge between mincing, mixing and stuffing stages; and the sausage has been below 4C since, so it should be OK.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:51 pm

The common advice that you shouldn't refreeze meat which has been frozen and thawed is of course very much oversimplified, to make it easy for everyone to understand. What matters is the total time the meat spends at temperatures which allow bacterial growth, and how high those temperatures are.

If the meat was quite fresh when it was originally frozen, and it was kept cool during processing, then there should be no problem in freezing the sausages. In any event, they are going to be cooked thoroughly when you come to eat them.

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Postby othmar » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:49 am

sausagemaker wrote:You could poach them & freeze them as you say, but I would just refreeze them anyway. Provided they have not had any temperature abuse they should be fine

Regards
Sausagemaker

Yep, just like sausage maker said and don't worry about taste and quality. The sausages will be just fine. When you take them out from the freezer defrost them first before you put them on the grill or into the oven.
Meat is good and healthy Master Butchers Choice
othmar
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:52 pm

Hi

I tend to cook mine in the oven, place in the freezer and then micro them when needed. this is not the best way but for a quick sausage sarnie with mustard (english of cource) it does for me.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Beginners