Flavour/texture of salami - raw vs cooked

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Flavour/texture of salami - raw vs cooked

Postby Swing Swang » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:13 am

Over the last couple of years I've noticed that some of my chourico cook differently from others, there seems to be no distinct pattern, but certainly my rustic/chunky hand cut chourico always cooked ( by which I mean roasted/poached/fried etc) absolutely beautifully, whereas my ground meat versions to otherwise similar recipes often develop a slightly grainy texture with all the cooking methods that I use, but otherwise eat beautifully in their uncooked state. I'm guessing that this is down to the fat rendering out of the products differently, but as it doesn't happen with similarly ground commercial products there must be a way round this. Any ideas?
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Re: Flavour/texture of salami - raw vs cooked

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:12 pm

Higher fat content? Insufficient mixing?

Do the commercial ones use Soy Protein or milk powder, or even phosphate?

Just thoughts 'out loud'; I haven't a clue why it is.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Swing Swang » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks Phil - I'll look at the labels when I'm next on the continent (but that won't be until the Spring)

Just as an aside on labelling - I noticed that in France last week that a lot of the artisan sausages had the traditional saltpetre/sodium nitrate on the labels rather than potassium nitrate/nitrite.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:44 pm

You might try salting the meat the night before grinding.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:26 pm

Swing Swang wrote:Thanks Phil - I'll look at the labels when I'm next on the continent (but that won't be until the Spring)

Just as an aside on labelling - I noticed that in France last week that a lot of the artisan sausages had the traditional saltpetre/sodium nitrate on the labels rather than potassium nitrate/nitrite.

Saltpetre is potassium nitrate. Historically, sodium nitrate was sometimes referred to as Chile saltpetre. I assume that they're using nitrate rather than nitrite?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby Swing Swang » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:21 am

NCPaul wrote:You might try salting the meat the night before grinding.

That's a very interesting point because all my ground chourico were ground, salted and stuffed the same day, whereas when I do rustic/chunky/hand cut I salt and leave with bay leaf for 2 to 4 days before stuffing. If this resolves the problem do you have any idea why?

Many thanks

Philip
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:22 am

wheels wrote:Higher fat content? Insufficient mixing?

Phil

Definitely not a fat quantity problem and in all cases had the same 'quality' - ie shoulder. I was wondering if I should trim the shoulder fat and replace with a similar quantity of one of the harder fats, but that doesn't explain why it's an intermittent fault.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:30 am

wheels wrote:
Swing Swang wrote:Thanks Phil - I'll look at the labels when I'm next on the continent (but that won't be until the Spring)
I assume that they're using nitrate rather than nitrite?

Phil

Oh yes, they're using nitrates, sorry if the post didn't make that clear. I just found it interesting to see that they are still using the variety that has fallen out of favour (but which some people prefer the flavour of in the final product).

Philip
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:24 pm

There's some interesting points that you've raised Philip.

I don't know whether there is a simple answer - other than: "That's Life!"

Maybe Brican can offer some thoughts?

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby BriCan » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:53 am

Swing Swang wrote:Over the last couple of years I've noticed that some of my chourico cook differently from others, there seems to be no distinct pattern,

First off there are two distinct patterns :)

This is one
but certainly my rustic/chunky hand cut chourico always cooked ( by which I mean roasted/poached/fried etc) absolutely beautifully,

And this is two
whereas my ground meat versions to otherwise similar recipes often develop a slightly grainy texture with all the cooking methods that I use

There are two very distinct variations between the two ......

but otherwise eat beautifully in their uncooked state. I'm guessing that this is down to the fat rendering out of the products differently, but as it doesn't happen with similarly ground commercial products there must be a way round this. Any ideas?

What one needs to do first of all is look to the two methods to rule out what could be obvious .....

A sharp knive to hand chop the meat ..... How is your knife and plate on your grinder ??
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby Swing Swang » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:42 pm

Thanks - This might be it as the 'worst' batch was what made me go out and work out how to resharpen (and buy a No 32 hand operated mincer with stainless blade/plate - still unused), whereas I would say that my (hand) knife/sharpening skills are good.
Swing Swang
Registered Member

Return to Beginners