First Cumberland

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

First Cumberland

Postby fusion555 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:03 am

So today, wife went to work, first day alone after my visitors from UK left, they had brought the phosphate needed for me to make my much awaited Cumberland.

I used the Polly Perkins recipe from this site, 1kg of Pork Butt and all ingredients to the last gram (well i was 7 grams heavy at the end :D )

Made 2 lots of fresh sausage before this, first was a Pork and smoked tomato from another site, second was a chicken, both were good but i know this is going to be better, how? you may ask lol, well it actually smells like sausage when it was mixed, real sausage meat.

I have a small patty that was left in the tube when i was done, thats for a snack tonight, rest is in the fridge overnight.

A question, if, and it will be a big IF there is any left tomorrow, do i vac pack it and keep in ref?

I will follow up when its been tested

Colin
fusion555
Registered Member

Re: First Cumberland

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:31 am

Freeze or use. That answers the question! But it's fantastic that you've found a sausage to please. :D

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby fusion555 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:40 am

Well the taster was delicious, dont think much will be getting frozen :D
I think i need to up my quantity's, the others didnt last long and neither will this.
fusion555
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:03 pm

:D :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby DanMcG » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:53 am

Glad you found a winning recipe, but why the phosphate in a fresh sausage?

Never mind, I just looked it up and see it's part of the recipe
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:52 pm

It doesn't need it Dan.

IIRC, Oddley was asked to produce a clone of a commercial Cumberland sausage as against a traditional one. Hence the phosphate.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby wheels » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:55 pm

It doesn't need it Dan.

Oddley wrote:Hi johnfb,

I think Dave has covered Phosphate quite well. The reason I included it was because you are looking for a commercial mix and most of those contain Phosphate. I left it as a separate component and not part of the seasoning so you or anybody else can leave it out easily. If you do leave it out it won't be the same sausage.

The last time I had a shop bought Cumberland was when we had run out of home made. My wife trooped in with some Tesco's finest Cumberland, my family tasted them and they were immediately thrown in the bin, we went without sausages till I made some more.

You can see from this that Oddley was asked to produce a clone of a commercial Cumberland sausage as against a traditional one. Hence the phosphate.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby fusion555 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:43 pm

I guess it was the commercial taste that i remembered i was looking for, i did find it with this recipe, couldnt resist a 6" piece on the BBQ as i was cooking some fish yesterday. Oh boy.
Todays lunch? Cumberland sausage with onion gravy :D Happy camper.
fusion555
Registered Member

Return to Beginners