The price of skins

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

The price of skins

Postby fredfish » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:04 am

Sorry this is going to sound like a bit of a rant.....

I have been buying my hog casings on-line and they cost IRO £2 per 5m (inc P&p) if bought in small quantities and significantly better value if bought in larger quaintities.

I recently sent the following email to my local butcher :-

Hi there

I have recently started making my own sausages (with varying success :-) )

I bought my sausage skins online (hog casings) but would much prefer to buy locally if at all possible.

So my question is can you supply hog casings and sheep casings. If so what sort of cost?

Also I have been making by using a blend of shoulder chops and belly pork but realise I would have better control of fat proportions if I could buy Pork back fat, do you sell pork back fat?

Really appreciate any advice.

TIA

Cheers

John

The answer I got back was that they charge £2 per meter.............

Firstly what is my incentive to buy my skins from them - but secondly what faith will I have that they are no ripping me off if I buy my meat from them? Makes me want to stick with the supermarkets - which is not my primary instinct.

I realise that independent suppliers don't have the economies of scale but approx 5x the internet cost is- IMHO - just a rip off.
fredfish
Registered Member

Re: The price of skins

Postby montanaSalami » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:53 pm

fredfish wrote:Firstly what is my incentive to buy my skins from them...

None. The internet has been setting the market prices for many years now. A local store can offer convenience, but that is not worth 5* the online price.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Re: The price of skins

Postby wheels » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:08 pm

Whilst we would encourage people to buy casings (skins) from the shop that funds this forum, I can fully understand you wanting to buy them locally.

Perhaps he just had a knee jerk reaction to an email out of the blue, and would have responded differently if you were stood at his counter buying meat off him?

There are some great butchers out there, it's just a case of finding one. That said, I'd still buy my casings online.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners