I started a Capicola

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

I started a Capicola

Postby montanaSalami » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:49 pm

I'm guessing that this is the Coppa. It was the largest muscle in the shoulder. But only 18 ounces from what started as a 5 pound pork shoulder. Lots of other muscle pieces separated out, that I will also dry-cure separately.

montanaSalami
Registered Member

Re: I started a Capicola

Postby herjac » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:30 pm

Although you can dry cure any piece of meat, the coppa is cut from the back of the neck above the shoulder. A bone-in butt is the cut that you want to start from.

Here is a good explaination from Jason Molinari. http://curedmeats.blogspot.ca/2007/10/c ... t-one.html
herjac
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:35 pm

Thanks. Looks like I trimmed it to far. The other pieces I'll pack together and dry-cure which might be closer to what I was aiming for.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:26 pm

I did an extra long brine soak of 24 days. The rub is a Hot Capicola recipe. It is a bit too cold and humid for this Charcuterie experiment, so maybe 60+ days to dry cure to complete? Maybe in March.... :drool:

Wrapped in cheese cloth and stuffed into recycled turkey netting. It ain't much to look at, but the potential for some good eating is there. :)

montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:31 pm

Curious? The small piece I weighted at 18 ounces 24 days ago. After the brine soak, rubbed, wrapped and netted it was 25 ounces. Netting maybe 1 to2, rub and wrap maybe another 1 to 2, so does 3 to 5 ounces of absorbed salt sound possible? My weighing wasn't very exact after it was all netted.
montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby montanaSalami » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:08 pm

After 2 months of hanging the lower hanging Copicola was at 15Oz from a starting weight of 25Oz. This was hanging in freezing temps, high humidity. An experiment. Looks good, taste is strong, salty and spicy. The larger piece I will let hang for another month, just because.

montanaSalami
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:34 am

That looks the biz!
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners