90% RH and the state of my curing chamber

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

90% RH and the state of my curing chamber

Postby chorizoguy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:35 pm

Hi all,

I have built a curing chamber using an old glass door shop fridge that is humidity and temperature controlled. Since it's really cold where I live, the fridge is not plugged in as the humidifier and the lamp inside stays on most of the time.

Currently, I am fermenting a batch of sausages at around 23 C with 90% humidity. My question is about the state of the curing chamber. It is literally soaked and there is water on the floor of the fridge. I can see condensation at the top, and the water drops to the floor.

When fermentation process is done, I will take the RH down to 85% but I don't see that being much more different in terms of the amount of water inside the fridge.

I have a few questions.
1) Is this normal ? As in, is 90% RH supposed to be this way ?
2) And if so, how does your fridge cope with this? I don't think having this much water inside the fridge would be good for electronics etc. :roll:

Thanks,
chorizoguy
Registered Member

Re: 90% RH and the state of my curing chamber

Postby onewheeler » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:17 pm

If the fridge is 23 C and 90% RH, and the outside is "very cold", the inside of the glass door will be streaming with water (probably even if it's double glazed). 90% RH is near enough 100%, the dewpoint is ~ 21C at that temperature. You might see a difference when you drop the RH and temperature, but if the outside is much colder you'll still get condensation on the inside.

Worth making sure that there's good drainage in the bottom.

Martin/
onewheeler
Registered Member

Return to Beginners