Hiking with store bought

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Hiking with store bought

Postby wadethrupp » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:55 pm

Hey everybody,

I'm planning a 40 day hike and I will need to stash my food before I start, the reason I've started this thread is to find out the best type to buy and how to package it.

Can anybody of you cheese enthusiasts explain to me the risks involved in leaving salami in a sealed container outbush for 40 days with temperatures fluctuating between 40 degrees cel and 0 (extreme cases).

Thanks in advance :)
Wade
wadethrupp
Newly Registered

Re: Hiking with store bought

Postby NCPaul » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D Given the temperature extremes, particularly the high temps, I would try a very lean jerky vacuum sealed in a dry container. I think a salami, while it might be safe to consume, would have the fat oil out and become unpalatable.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Hiking with store bought

Postby wadethrupp » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks NCPaul. Unpalatable is not much of a concern when there is a chance of it being ok.

"might be safe to consume" haha, that's almost good enough for me.. maybe probably.
wadethrupp
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners