Run into a little problem...

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Run into a little problem...

Postby therealsausageviking » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:08 am

Hi, first post here, thanks for letting me in :wink:

I am norwegian, so the following is translated in googletranslate, bc my technical english is not that good:

The first time I made I used normal pork steak (not smoked) and had too little fat. I know that. But that was not the problem, the sausages were "powderish" if you know what I mean, looked a bit like caviar. I fell apart.

The second time I had 35% fat and made 2 kg. The same thing happened there. The sausages were of the same consistent,i didnt hold together and were "pulverized" / fell apart once we chewed.

Theory: After I minced the meat, minced the fat, mixed fat, spices and meat, I put the sausage-thing on the front of the mill, and so I make sausages. BUT; I did not take out the knife inside the mill, so I minced the meat kind of twice. Is that my problem maybe? The meat being minced twice.

Hope you can answer!

Thomas
therealsausageviking
Registered Member

Re: Run into a little problem...

Postby DanMcG » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Stuffing with a meat grinder is not the best way to do it, it tends to smear the fat, which will lead to a crumbly texture.
A couple other things that give the same results is not enough salt in you recipe or to little mixing of the ground meat to achieve a sticky mass before stuffing..

And welcome to the forums, google did a good job of translating, I hope mine works as well. Let us know if you have any other questions and let us how your sausage came out.
DanMcG
Registered Member

Postby therealsausageviking » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:15 am

First of all, thanks for the fast reply!

Stuffing with a meat grinder is not the best way to do it, it tends to smear the fat, which will lead to a crumbly texture.

I can easily take out knife in the grinder itself, will that maybe help maybe? I dont have any other options for stuffing at the moment since I broke down my wifes Kenwood while making the first attemt. :D

This is the grinder I use , whit the "sausage maker" in front wich I attached after I am finished grinding the meat.

I thought this was the way they made it back in the days, and I also find it quite fun to do it this way. I will check into your tips, and will come back with the result.
therealsausageviking
Registered Member

Postby NCPaul » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D

At the bottom of this thread is a photo of the sticky mass you should have after mixing:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2978

It will also help to keep the meat cold and the grinder as well.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby therealsausageviking » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:04 pm

NCPaul wrote:At the bottom of this thread is a photo of the stick mass you should have after mixing:

That is how I remember it though. Maybe not so sticky perhaps. Thank you. I will have that in mind the next time in a couple of weeks.
therealsausageviking
Registered Member

Return to Beginners