Curing Wagyu

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Curing Wagyu

Postby chatterer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 pm

I am a big fan of Wagyu/Kobe beef. Has anyone tried curing anything with this beef?

I know a good Japanese Butcher who i can source good cuts from. I have contemplated making bresaola with Wagyu beef for my next project. Curious if anyone has tried something already.
chatterer
Registered Member

Re: Curing Wagyu

Postby crustyo44 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:02 am

I have used Wagyu Topside for Bresaola and Dutch Rookvlees, both EQ cured in a vacuumed bag for about 10 weeks. 2% salt, 0.25% cure # 2 and the spices I like best.
The Rookvlees was cold smoked for several days, 8 hrs a day and a spell at night. Then both Bresaola and Rookvlees were dried in a UMAi bag, non vacuumed but covered in stretch netting to make a good contact between the drying bag and meat.
The bresaola dried to a 38% weight loss, The Rookvlees only dried to a 25% weightloss. Both were great!!!
Both dried in our kitchen fridge only.
For all the nitpickers, I probably can't call them the above names as the procedures are far removed from the tradional ways of doing things.
Anyhow, I AM PLEASED with the outcome. Next lots I will take photo's and list my procedures for both.
Chatterer, Have a go. Just make sure you use the correct amount of salt and cure.!!!!!!!!!!!
crustyo44
Registered Member

Return to Beginners