Suggestions for a idiot proof base

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Re: Suggestions for a idiot proof base

Postby sevorg » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:39 pm

Based on the last couple of posts I'm going to have a go using the whole leek. I like the idea of putting a bit of colour into the sausage. This year's leeks are looking like the best we've grown in a long time so I'm hoping to give this a try in another few weeks. I'll report back once they're done and tested.
sevorg
Registered Member

Postby sevorg » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Pork & leek update.
Recipe was loosely based on the Thurlaston.
Pork with 20% fat
Leek 12%
Rusk 8.5%
Water 8.5%
Seasoning 2.5%

Seasoning: Sufficient for 3.2kg meat
Salt 60g
Black pepper 5g
White pepper 7%
Mace 3g
Sage 2g
Ginger 2g

Leeks were chopped 5mm ish and sweated to soften them before adding to the mix.

We had a lot of testers round and bunged these into some home-made rolls. Everyone thought they were an excellent sausage but could have taken even more leek as it was only just discernable over the seasoning. If I had to guess at the changes for the next batch I'd increase the precooked leek content to 20% and possibly scale back the sage and pepper to 70% to give the leek a chance to shine through.
sevorg
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:19 pm

Maybe try some with uncooked leek for a comparison - but maybe not for storage - they could discolour. A Lincolnshire seasoning would be nice with the leek as well.

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby sevorg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:39 pm

Good idea Phil, I was planning on another batch of Lincolnshire next as the first ones I did were so good, so I might use some of the mix as a trial.

Tom
sevorg
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners