Making Salami - no access to starter cultures

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Making Salami - no access to starter cultures

Postby astromech » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:38 am

New member here and thought this would be the best place to ask this.

I am looking at starting to make salami. I have made bacon in the past, but thought salami would be a nice thing to make (and tasty).

I have access to a curing chamber (modified wine fridge) and all the other necessary items, except 1. Starter cultures. They are not available in the country I live (Japan). Or at least, they are not readily available.

I am wondering what to do in this case? I know that “in the good ol’ days”, starter cultures were not used and that people relied on the naturally occurring molds floating in the air. This meant good mold and bad molds. With things like starter cultures, we make the process safer today. That is, unless we have access to it.

So, how can I make my salami without access to commercially available starter cultures? Can I just let the salami cure naturally and hope for the good white mold?

Thanks!
astromech
Newly Registered

Re: Making Salami - no access to starter cultures

Postby wheels » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:24 pm

I'd be more worried if it was cure that you hadn't got, as it's your first attempt.

You could try using a pro-biotic yogurt instead, or acidophilus tablets from a health shop.

HTH

Phil
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby astromech » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:21 am

I have both Pink Salt #1 (for my bacon) and Pink Salt #2 (intended for salami) imported from the US. They just can’t ship me bactoferm.

I’ll try to read up more on pro-biotic yogurt and acidophilus. Although, I am not sure how these relate to molds.
astromech
Newly Registered

Postby NCPaul » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Wheels is talking about alternatives for fermentation starter cultures. They are very important for product quality and safety. Mold cultures are much less so and many salamis can be made without them. I would focus your efforts on finding a good replacement for fermentation starter cultures first. If you can find a salami that you like with mold on it in Japan, you can harvest a mold culture as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8561
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks NCPaul. Yes, what I suggested are possible replacements for the cultures that are added to the meat. :D :D
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners