Rookie mistake when hanging Salami - keep or throw?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Rookie mistake when hanging Salami - keep or throw?

Postby Artless » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:08 am

Hi all,

First attempt at making salami, and I have followed a recipe from a Charcuiterie book which is super basic.

After mixing, grinding, stuffing etc I hung the sausages and began to wait.

I made a fairly rookie mistake though, in that they were hanging touching - Amatuer!

After mould started to form I noticed that were they where hanging was slimy, much like fat left over from cooking. I immediately re-hung them so that they wouldnt be touching.

A few days later the slime is still there, and theres a rather strong smell whenever I open the door.

I'm using an old fridge, temperature controlled to 18 degrees for the curing process.

Will they likely improve, or should I turf the lot that were touching and hope that the ones that weren't touching will continue to cure nicely?
Artless
Newly Registered

Re: Rookie mistake when hanging Salami - keep or throw?

Postby NCPaul » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:01 pm

I would like to see the recipe you used or please tell us the source you were using. The "strong smell" is of what? What was your humidity? Welcome to the forum. :D
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Rookie mistake when hanging Salami - keep or throw?

Postby wheels » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:07 pm

Please check the RH (Relative Humidity) with it at this temperature and post it here.

A smell like aged unpasteurised camembert - somewhat of ammonia - is common. Slime isn't.

Then, I'd lower the temperature to below 15°C. Many of us find 12°C to be good. Then check the RH (Relative Humidity) again and post it here.

It's not good, but as long as you used a nitrite and nitrate cure (Cure #2 or similar) I wouldn't give up yet.

Phil

Edit: Post crossed with NCPaul's
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners