Replacing Animal Fat with Olive Oil

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Postby Anya » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:22 pm

Hi,
We want to make our own sausage to have a healthier product for seniors. My research has shown that leaving out the fat is like leaving the alcohol out of a coctail. Has anyone tried replacing part of he animal fat with olive oil? Any other suggestions to make a product healthier for seniors (you know, keep down the cholesterol and all).
Thank you.
Senior Sausage Maker
Anya
Newly Registered

Postby Fallow Buck » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:22 am

Anya,

I have put olive oil into a mix once before and some of it leached out during cooking. However I think it is not a bad idea but I would not substitute all the fat in a sausage for olive oil. 50-50 should be a good place to start off with I would have thought.

FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:07 pm

You could try vegetarian suet instead. It won't have the supposed health benefits of olive oil, but it's easier to handle, just mix it with the mince before stuffing.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:09 pm

What is vegetarian suet made from? From the sounds if it, it might just by hydrogenated vegetable oil - which defeats the health aspect as it is full of unhealthy trans-fats.

Do a search on this board for a poster called _darkstream_ - he did quite a bit of low-fat sausage.

http://forum.sausagemaking.org/search.p ... arkstream_
aris
Site Admin

Postby Wohoki » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:43 pm

Quite right, should have thought of that. I did a quick check and it's usually hydrogenated palm oil, sunflower oil and rice flour. Not that healthy.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Anya » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:44 pm

Thanks for the help. I'll try small recipes with lower fat and some olive oil. I hope it works.
Anya
Anya
Newly Registered

Postby roseway » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:33 pm

I'm not sure that pork fat is particularly bad for you anyway. I haven't got any medical knowledge to back this up, but it seems to me that hard red meat fats are much worse for you than soft white meat fats.

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Return to Beginners