Sausage seasoning, beginner question.

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Sausage seasoning, beginner question.

Postby Seitz55 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:17 am

I'm new to making sausage. I made three pounds of summer sausage using a Hi Mountain kit last week. It turned out okay. I did end up adding a little bit too much peppercorns to it, so it came out kind of spicy. I am now hooked on sausage making. The reason I started this thread was to get an idea on what the basic seasonings and spice's that go into summer sausage and brats to try and make my own recipe. Thank you for any help.
Seitz55
Newly Registered

Re: Sausage seasoning, beginner question.

Postby Odin » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:52 pm

Switz55

I’ve been where you are and it’s trial and error. Use spices you like. I never use packaged stuff just for that reason.
Odin
Registered Member

Re: Sausage seasoning, beginner question.

Postby RodinBangkok » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:11 am

The internet is the best source ever for formulations, spend time doing research by searching for the types your looking for. This site is an excellent source for formulations. Collect them and look at the variations then decide on which combinations of ingredients to try first, make good notes as you refine your formulation, during that process you will learn what process variations and ingredient variations do and taste like.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
_____

Rod
RodinBangkok
Registered Member

Return to Beginners