Duck liver terrine (foie gras) - temperature?

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Duck liver terrine (foie gras) - temperature?

Postby grisell » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:00 am

Hello there, old and new friends!

It must have been seven years since my last post, but here I am again. :D

I want to make a duck liver terrine/paté (foie gras) from 100% duck liver. I have made this before and I have a good recipe when it comes to preparations, seasoning, method etc, so no problem with that.

My question is about the temperature. I used to run up to 70 C (158 F) internal temperature, which i think is too much since the liver tends to get dry. Some recipes suggest as low as 45 C (113 F), but on the other hand I don't want a "raw" liver taste.

Would 60 C (140 F) be a good compromise? Or 55 (131)? I don't want to take too high risks with bacteria either, since there are more people than I who will be eating it.

Any suggestions?
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Re: Duck liver terrine (foie gras) - temperature?

Postby BriCan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:49 am

grisell wrote:Hello there, old and new friends!

It must have been seven years since my last post, but here I am again. :D

I want to make a duck liver terrine/paté (foie gras) from 100% duck liver. I have made this before and I have a good recipe when it comes to preparations, seasoning, method etc, so no problem with that.

My question is about the temperature. I used to run up to 70 C (178 F) internal temperature, which i think is too much since the liver tends to get dry. Some recipes suggest as low as 45 C (113 F), but on the other hand I don't want a "raw" liver taste.

Would 60 C (140 F) be a good compromise? Or 55 (131)? I don't want to take too high risks with bacteria either, since there are more people than I who will be eating it.

Any suggestions?

Greetings old friend ... we have missed you :)

As for you question we normally pouch in 175 degree F water until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F and is never dry
But what do I know
BriCan
Registered Member

Postby wheels » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi André,

In the UK 60°C for 45 mins or 65°C for 10 mins are safe cooking times. I would go for 65° for 10 mins for duck liver personally.

I know that you have a scientific background, so you may be interested in this:

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/f ... Report.pdf

I know that it's chicken which is a completely different food safety issue, but you may find some parts relevant, or if not, at least of interest.

Phil

PS: The admin fairy has corrected the temp!
wheels
Global Moderator

Postby grisell » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 pm

Thank you for your reply. I bought two livers. The first one will be cooked tomorrow. It's now lying in its marinade. I will go for 60 C. If this will be good, I might go a little higher next time.

I will report back. Thank you.
André

I have a simple taste - I'm always satisfied with the best.
grisell
Registered Member

Return to Beginners