Texture help

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Texture help

Postby dcatwater@msn.com » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi all, new to the forum and new to Salumi making. I have completed my first batch of Tuscan salami (Rhulman's recipe) and a batch of pepperoni (Len Poli). Both fermented 24 hours, then dried in my chamber at 70% humidity and 60 degrees F until 35% weight loss. Stuffed in hog casings.

Taste is great, nice tang from the culture and seasoning on both is good. My problem is the texture - it still seems soft and a bit loose. If I slice thin bit off and give it a bend, the piece will break in half. Is this normal? I was expecting a salami that I could slice thin and be able to roll up, like a production product.

I don't think I am getting a smear from the fat, I keep everything ice cold during the grind and stuffing.

Do I need more compression (tighter stuff)? Perhaps more dry time?

Any help would be appreciated....

Dave
dcatwater@msn.com
Newly Registered

Re: Texture help

Postby NCPaul » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:12 am

Welcome to the forum. :D Did you check the pH after fermentation? Any chance of a photo?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners