No Mould on salami

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

No Mould on salami

Postby Sendit » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:10 pm

Hi,
I’m new to dry curing salami but thought I would give it ago. I used the following recipe-
Salt 2.8%
Cure No. 2 @ 4.5grm per kilo
Cinnamon
Garlic powder
Sugar
Half a bottle of wine for 8kg

I used synthetic casings
Hung them at approximately 30 degrees c for 24hrs then on at 12degrees c in a fridge with a temperature controller. Humidity was around 85% for the first 4 weeks then dropped to around 75%.

My question is does the salami have to grow a white mould on the out side?
They are now 7 weeks old and don’t have any mould at all on them. I have not used a starter culture at all.
Do I have to use a starter culture?

Cheers
Sendit
Newly Registered

Re: No Mould on salami

Postby NCPaul » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:26 am

Welcome to the forum. :D Mould is not required on the outside of salami. Many find it helps to control the drying rate and it contributes a certain flavor. I don't happen to care for it so I keep the salami wiped clean.

Starter cultures on the other hand I would make a strong recommendation for. Their first role is to drop pH to 5.3 or lower which is a safety hurdle for pathogenic bacteria. The culture can also affect the flavor of the salami, help in reducing nitrate to nitrite, and "crowd out" the unwanted bacteria. How is the weight loss?
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: No Mould on salami

Postby Sendit » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Weight loss I think seems good, so far around 32% in seven weeks.
Sendit
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners