recipe check for my first Chorizo

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

recipe check for my first Chorizo

Postby mr_magicfingers » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:05 am

As with the other thread for salami I have here, I'll be making some chorizo on the big pork weekend I have planned and I'd appreciate a check of the recipe and process temperatures please. Please feel free to offer a preferred recipe if you have one you particularly like, this is one I picked from a book (Hog by Richard Turner)

3kg pork
30g black pepper
60ml cider vinegar
1/2 tablespoon cloves
2 heads garlic peeled and crushed
200g red pepper flakes
60g salt
6g prague powder #2
40g hot smoked paprika
Hog casings.

the process temps seem to vary significantly in the different recipes. Some say just hang somewhere cool (<10ºC), others say to hang like salami with a warm start for a day or two then a cooler place to hang for the curing/drying of 12-18ºC

Hard to know who to rely on from the books so figured I'd ask here.

Also, is it safe to hang salami with chorizo for drying? Just wondered if there'd be any cross contamination issue with molds etc.
mr_magicfingers
Registered Member

Re: recipe check for my first Chorizo

Postby NCPaul » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:00 pm

The cider vinegar doesn't belong unless you are trying to make a fresh Mexican chorizo in which case the cure #2 doesn't belong. I would add some of your fermentation culture instead. You might try 20g of red pepper flakes (I know it's a typo).
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: recipe check for my first Chorizo

Postby mr_magicfingers » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Thanks, I'll take the vinegar out. The recipe may be a typo in the book but that's how it appears. I thought that was rather a lot of pepper flakes :)
mr_magicfingers
Registered Member

Return to Beginners