Freezing Previously Frozen Fat

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Freezing Previously Frozen Fat

Postby StuBu » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:39 pm

I ordered some meat products yesterday and noticed that the supplier also sells Back Fat so I included some in my order .
This company sends all it's products out frozen so if I use the fat to make a batch of sausages some or all will be getting frozen . Now I know the usual convention is that there should be a cooking process in between 2 freezings but would not having any cooking inbetween be an issue?

I have seen it suggested that the newly made sausages be lightly poached before being frozen and finished off later when they were to be eaten.

Would that be an acceptable way of avoiding any problems ...if indeed there was a problem in the first place .
StuBu
Newly Registered

Re: Freezing Previously Frozen Fat

Postby NCPaul » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:12 pm

If it is clean back fat (no meat attached) I would refreeze it. It has a low water content and never gets very hard even frozen. Keep it cold while you take what you need. Poaching sausages is a good practice in my mind.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners