Smoked Pancetta

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Smoked Pancetta

Postby chrisby27 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:44 am

Hi,

I'm sure i will be posting quite a few question here over the coming weeks as i have many little projects on the go at the minute!
First up, smoked pancetta. I followed the recipe from Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting, Smoking and Curing.
They do not smoke the pancetta but i wanted smoked, so i cold smoked first but after taking a look on the internet this morning every recipe cold smokes after the cure stage. Is there a reason to this and any possible negative effects?
thanks in advance
chrisby27
Registered Member

Re: Smoked Pancetta

Postby NCPaul » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D The meat is cured first so that it is protected against bacteria while it is above 40 F during the cold smoking process. Smoking is also considered a low oxygen environment which would favor the worst sorts of bacteria. Flavor wise it's probably a toss up, but for food safety I'd always go cure then cold smoke.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Re: Smoked Pancetta

Postby chrisby27 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:10 pm

Thanks Paul,

After giving it some concideration and much more reading I have decided to bin the pancetta and do it again.
I reached a temp of 87f to which I have now found out is just above the lowest temp recommended for Botulism growth. It's just not worth the risk is it? I was using ice to cool the chamber and checking every 20/30 mins on the temp and chaging ice when needed.
I think i may change my smoker design and smoke outside of the box and move it into the chamber. I'm using one of the tube smokers and pellets in the bottom that's obviously making it too hot.
Also cure first!
Chris
chrisby27
Registered Member

Return to Beginners