All Beef Bratwurst

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

All Beef Bratwurst

Postby Beer_Tigger » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:54 am

I have half a cattle in the freezer and no more pork. Is there a recipe out there for all beef bratwurst? Or any sausage recipes that are mostly beef? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Beer_Tigger
Newly Registered

Re: All Beef Bratwurst

Postby badjak » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:31 am

Just check out Len Poli's site.
There are plenty recipes on there: http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm#FRESH
Good luck!
Life is too short to drink bad wine
badjak
Registered Member

Postby vagreys » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:31 pm

You might try searching for 'bratwurst' in our recipe section and using all beef in your favorite of the bunch.
- tom

Don't tell me the odds.

You have the power to donate life
vagreys
Site Admin

Postby Beer_Tigger » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:32 pm

I have a good bratwurst recipe, but like all others it uses pork. I'm looking for the experience of swapping it out for just beef. I think it would be too dry unless I get the fat ratio right. Hence looking for someone who succeeded in all beef. Is it really as simple as a equal swap out?
Beer_Tigger
Newly Registered

Postby NCPaul » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:11 pm

I found this one you could try:

Beef Bratwurst by Craig Deihl

Yields: 15 each 6-inch sausages

These all beef sausages are great with mustard and sauerkraut. Great on the grill or slowly cooked in a pot of baked beans.

2.2 Kilos Beef chuck 70% meat 30%fat

48 grams kosher salt

6 grams white pepper

4 grams caraway

2 grams nutmeg

1 grams ginger

2 grams marjoram

4 each eggs

91 grams heavy cream

91 grams dry milk powder

Natural Pork casings soaking in water
1.Dice the beef the into half inch cubes. Place diced beef on a baking tray and freeze for 30 minutes. Place grinder parts in the freezer (auger knife and 7mm medium plate)
2.Fit your grinder with the medium grinding plate (7mm). Grind the meat one time into a bowl sitting in another bowl full of ice.
3.Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
4.Grind the mix one more time through the medium plate into a bowl sitting in another bowl full of ice.
5.Incorporate the meat mixture well. Place in the refrigerator until your ready to stuff. Clean up.
6.Place your sausage stuffer on the edge of a table and secure with C clamps.
7.Place the medium stuffing tube on the sausage press and secure tightly.
8.Place the mixed meat into the sausage stuffer. Pack each layer tightly to the bottom of the stuffer. Repeat until the stuffer is full and tightly packed. Place the palm of your hand on the end of the stuffer tube and crank to pack the meat and force the air out. When the meat starts to come out crank backwards to stop the pressure.
9.Place the pork casing on the stuffing tube. Tie a knot at the end of the pork casing.
10.Place your prominent working hand on the crank and the other hand on the casing and slowly stuff the sausage. Don’t pack to tight, as you will have trouble linking later on. Work the sausage into a ring and coil it around as you stuff the sausage. When the casing is full tie a knot in the end of the casing.
11.Repeat until the process is complete. Refrigerate the sausage while you clean up.
12.Form the sausages into 6-inch links. A plastic ruler works great for this. Crimp the sausage at 6-inches and twist clockwise three revolutions. For the next link measure six inches crimp and twist counterclockwise three revolutions. Repeat this process alternating back and forth on the direction your twisting until complete. Place the linked sausages in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
13.Clip the sausages into links and place on baking trays 1-inch apart.
14.Cook the sausages at 200 degrees in the oven for 45 minutes or until they are 150 degrees.
15.Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature. The sausages are now ready for the grill.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Return to Beginners