pate problem

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

pate problem

Postby buckeyebbq » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Yesterday I gave pate a try for the first time. I made a simple country pate with about 2 lbs. Botston Butt, 1/4 lb pork liver, 1/2 lb fat back (the Boston Butt was a bit lean, thus the fat back), and various spices, and an egg, heavy cream, flour, and brandy mixture to hold it all together.

Long story short, the pate "broke" while in the oven-a fair amount of fat melted out, so, although I'm still looking forward to eating it, it probably will be a bit dry and crumbly.

I'm having difficulty thinking why it broke. The grind went well, no smearing, and when I put it in the tin, I could clearly see nice white chunks of fat. I cooked it in a 300 Fareneheit oven, in a water bath, for about 2.5 hours (until it reached 160 farenheit).

I have a couple of theories about the reason:
1. Although the oven was 300 degrees, I put the pate/water bath on the bottom shelf, near the heating element (bloody electric ovens :evil: ). Perhaps this was too hot (I did move it later, but the damage may have been done).
2. I filled up the dish the pate sat in about halfway up the side of the pate vessel with hot (not boiling) water-should I use more water and/or boiling water?
3. My pate dish is very thin, cheap meatloaf-should I splurge for a nice enameled cast iron like le creusent?
4. Is 300 degrees to hot?

thanks much
buckeyebbq
Registered Member

Return to Beginners