Sodium Caseinate

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Sodium Caseinate

Postby Lance Yeoh » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:26 am

Guys, I was given sodium caseinate by a supplier and she said it may help to improve the texture of the sausages. I've not tested them yet so just want to ask for some opinion here. Anyone used this before? How do I use it and how does it help? Thanks in advance for your feedback. :)
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Postby mosler » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:19 pm

Hi Lance,

I've never used it, or seen it for that matter. But I did find this:
"SODIUM CASEINATE - used as a binder in products such as frankfurters and stews."
From a USDA site about addatives in meat and poultry products.

If it's listed soley for franks, I would skip it unless you're making emulsified sausages and are having trouble with texture or fat/meat separation.
mosler
Registered Member

Postby sausagemaker » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:47 pm

Sodium Casinate is used in the production of emulsified sausage products for texture & binding it is also used in picnic ham product for the same reason.

Regards
Sausagemaker
Advice
Often sought, seldom taken
sausagemaker
Registered Member

Postby Lance Yeoh » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:50 am

Thanks for the info, I was using it to help get a more chewy texture for my sausages. I added 1 tbs to 1kg of meat mixture. Turn out ok but I guess I need to experiment further.
Lance Yeoh
Registered Member

Return to Beginners