Gamey Pork Sausage

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Gamey Pork Sausage

Postby briand » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:30 am

I have killed a pig three times and tried to make my own sausage every time. It never works. The bacon works out great. I have pork roasts rather than hams (just not a large enough container/space for proper curing). We love the chops. We have lard for all our baking--pig cookies are so very good. I haven't done too well with jowl bacon and I have not yet tried to keep any of the sweet meats, but we are learning.

The sausage, however, is killing me. It comes out extremely gamey. I have been told it may be the way I'm processing it. One friend swears that you have to refrigerate the shoulder ASAP and keep it that way until you are ready to grind. I may not be keeping the meat at the right temperature.

Any tips to improve the flavor?
briand
Newly Registered

Re: Gamey Pork Sausage

Postby NCPaul » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:31 pm

It's always good practice to keep meat cold (< 40 F).
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby NCPaul » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:29 pm

One other idea would be to consider the feed you give the pig in its last month. I don't have any advice, but this may be worth looking into.
Fashionably late will be stylishly hungry.
NCPaul
Site Admin

Postby wheels » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:00 pm

It sounds like more of a butchery question than a sausagemaking one. I'd hazard a guess that the problem is before the sausage-making stage. But, without knowing the whole procedure in very fine detail it's very hard to tell. Is there no one in your area that you could ask to mentor you?
wheels
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners