Beginning biginner

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Beginning biginner

Postby Rough Country Boy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:41 am

Gidday

As far as beginners go I am a real beginner or should I say, about to be a beginner.

A few years ago I had a great big fat wether that I took to the local butcher to make into sausages. It boned out at 32kg and he added 3 kg of beef and they turned out the very best sausages I have ever tasted.

I asked him what he puts in and he said he just makes sure there is 30% fat, adds his seasoning and that was it. No binding as he reckons the fat does that and they are in skins, so flour, no semalina or any of that crap, just meat and 30% fat and a bit of seasoning.

I have always had land and find sheep much easier to keep and can kill and butcher them myself. I hear you can't do that in the U.K. Living here in New Zealand I guess it's a bit far to buy the stuff that is sold through this site, so what I am asking is can anyone tell me what is a good recipe or mix of stuff to use as seasoning to make my own mutton saussages.

I hope you clever people can come up with lots of good ideas for me.
Cheers
Jack
Just a rough Country Boy
Rough Country Boy
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:59 am

My very favorite seasoning to use in mutton sausage have to be corriander seeds, cummin seed, fennel seeds, a dab of dried chilli and some garlic (in the ratio of 2:1:0.5 by volume for the first three, as much chilli as you like, and the same with garlic). If you can use whole spices toast the seeds and chilli for ten minutes an an oven at 160c before grinding, and chop the garlic rather than crush it. If you can only get ground spices put them in a dry frying-pan and heat them slowly until the very first wisp of smoke comes off, then tip into a cold metal or china bowl to chill them. I'd also grind the lean meat quite course, but grind the fat fine. A bit of fresh lemon zest is good as well. Mmmmmmmmmmmm :D
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Rough Country Boy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:03 pm

Gidday

That sounds bloody good, and even quick reply. Thanks mate.
Cheers
Jack
Just a rough Country Boy
Rough Country Boy
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:18 pm

Any time. I'd recommend serving them with either some rice or couscous, and a mixture of veggies cooked in a tomato sauce. Keep the veg fairly bland and the bangers spicy, and have some harrisa to go with them (search on this site for recipes, I've posted at least one, and there are a few more as well.)

Oh, and I believe it is legal to have animals slaughtered on your own land in the UK, but only for your own consumption. So you can't even give a bit to your mates. Arse to the beaurocrats I say.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:20 pm

Wohoki wrote:Oh, and I believe it is legal to have animals slaughtered on your own land in the UK, but only for your own consumption. So you can't even give a bit to your mates.

You can't even give any to your wife and kids from what I can make out.
However this apparently only applies to registerable livestock like pigs, cows, sheep etc. and not poultry (if in small numbers).
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Postby Rough Country Boy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:38 am

Gidday

You poor buggers. It looks like you can skin very carefully though, and eat a hedge hog but not a sheep you have bred.

Perhaps we are still an almost free country down here.
Cheers
Jack
Just a rough Country Boy
Rough Country Boy
Registered Member

Postby roseway » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:28 am

Over here we all run around in babygrow suits, and the government tells us when we can go to the toilet.

Eric
roseway
Registered Member

Return to Beginners