Beef or Turkey Bacon

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Beef or Turkey Bacon

Postby tristar » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:28 pm

Hello All,

Has anybody on the forum had any experience of curing and smoking anything other than pork to produce a bacon style product? I am planning on purchasing some of Franco's bacon cures and having a go with some beef on my return to Jakarta, but wondered if anybody with experience would be willing to share some tips to ease my concerns! :oops:

Richard
"Don't be shy, just give it a try!"
Food for The Body and The Soul
tristar
Registered Member

Postby Heather » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:49 pm

I have dry-cured beef brisket and lamb breast as I would belly pork, but haven't smoked them.

I have used the cured products in winter stews and soups, they add a lot of flavour for a small amount of meat.
Heather
Registered Member

Postby aris » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:34 pm

How did you cure the lamb breast?

I mix lamb breast in my droewors to give it the extra fat needed, and some flavour.
aris
Site Admin

Postby Heather » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:11 pm

Aris, I used the traditional dry-cure from here, added in the given quantity and cured according to the thickness of the lamb breast (so not very long then), as I would with a pork belly. The flavour was good, I added it to hash-type dishes with potatoes and cabbage, but I like your idea of using it in droewors (I also use lamb breast for droewors).
Heather
Registered Member

Postby aris » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:10 pm

Ok, so basically you just made lamb bacon. I thought perhaps you had hung it too to make a lamb parma ham or something like that. 8)
aris
Site Admin

Return to Beginners