Mold ? with other questions from a novice

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Mold ? with other questions from a novice

Postby gamechef » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:55 am

Hi I am making my first dry cure salami and have some questions. They probably have been answered before but I could not find answers from searches.
I am using a small refrig without an auto-defroster I bought at a garage sale. The picture here is that fridge that I just defrosted after 3 weeks. The humidity gauge sits at 80-90%, salt below to keep humidity at that range.
These salamis are 22 days old. Recipes are 1) Uncle Abs Venison dry cure 2) Len Poli Szalami Hungaraian the ones with the red twist ties on top. Used synthtic protien lined caseings.The fridg sets about 40-43F or 4-6 C . Is this the right temp?
I know mold is good and you want the salami's covered. Seems like there are 2 types here.The small stuff and the moldy fuzz? Is the moldy fuzz safe? Used cure #2
Then lastly when you taste test , you just cut one of the salamis in half and taste it? If you feel it needs more drying time do you just put it back leave uncoverd or un-protected and continue to dry it?

Thanks to everyone that contributes and a great forum.
Last edited by gamechef on Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
gamechef
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:14 am

Welcome to the forum gamechef..

I am not an authority on salami making but have made a few and reading through quite a few recipes it would seem that the otimum RH for drying is around 70% RH with a temperature of 15�C ( 60�F).. so you are a little high with the RH and a fair bit low on the temp.
As for the mould, it is the concensus that white or light green mould is desirable and contributes/alters the flavour of the finished salami. If you don't like the idea of the mould you can remove it by damping a cloth in vinegar and wiping it away.
It is generally accepted that the salami is ready when it has lost 30% of its initial weight.. which in turn means weighing them individually after stuffing.
Don't know about the taste test, but I should think your idea would work ok.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby gamechef » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:41 am

Well the first batch is done 60 days and it turned out good. Smells good and tastes good. It definitely dried out and has some heavy creases in the cases. This photo here is after 60 days and a vinegar wash.
gamechef
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:24 am

gamechef

That's a good result for the first try, they look very nice. Did you take any pictures of them with the mold on, before you gave them a wash with vinegar??

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby gamechef » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:07 am

Paul,

No Photos, but there was very little mold in the last 30 days with the exception of one. Here in our area there is a commercial salami Columbus Salame Company that has there salami�s vacuumed pack with no casings. I had some of this in the kitchen fridge and it started to mold in the plastic bag. I took that bag turned it inside out and rubbed all over one salami. That one piece had a fine white powder mold all over it after three weeks.
Well now I started another batch. I purchased a line voltage bulb thermostat. The little fridge now works as an incubator with a light bulb and after then a fridge that the temp should stay at 55 F . It will hold 10 pounds of salami.

This next batch is Wild Goose (Dark ones) with Hunters Salami and 50/50 of the two combined. This time I used a starter.Image

24 Hours Later

gamechef
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:20 am

Well I am no authority on salami molds but I dont like the look of the white furry stuff as that looks very much like white mucor mold to me and it is a no no in cheese.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Return to Beginners