Spices

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Spices

Postby tug1 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:44 pm

Does anybody know how to use '"fenu/greek" in a cure to enhance maple
flavour?
Or is it even the right stuff to use?
I tried using pure maple syrup but it did not produce the proper results
tug1
Newly Registered

Postby Wohoki » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:28 pm

I cook a lot of Indian food, and fenugreek is a frequent addition. Both the dried leaf (methi) and the seed are used, and both add a rich, savory flavour. I don't know if this is any help, but it does compliment sweeter cures and is top with any meat dish (I add leaf to oxtail stew, mmmmmmm).
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Josh » Mon May 22, 2006 11:02 am

I had some sausages on Saturday with fenugreek in and they were very tasty. The Ghurka ones from Jim's Farm. I am going to experiment and see how it goes. Will report back with any findings.
Josh
Registered Member

Postby jenny_haddow » Mon May 22, 2006 11:45 am

I can imagine the flavour of fenugreek complementing maple syrup very well. It has a slightly bitter taste underlying a deep, pungent flavour. It could add hidden depths to a cure. Don't add too much, maybe experiment by adding a small amount at a time to some syrup until you get the flavour you like.

Cheers

Jen
jenny_haddow
Registered Member

Return to Beginners