Burtsing and crumbling sausages

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Burtsing and crumbling sausages

Postby Vernon Smith » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:10 pm

I just posted a help request in the chatter column on how to stop my sausages bursting out excessively at the ends but I think it should be here in the beginner's column. Anyone willing please check my question there about bursting sausages. I also need to know how to make my sausages firmer when cooked. My sausages just crumble when we cut them on the plate to eat. Is there anything I can use to "glue" or "bind" the filling together? I am making pork sausages using "sausagemakers" Lincolnshire flavouring with 80/20 meat-fat plus 10% rusk.
Thanks in advance for any kind assistance.
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:48 am

Can I ask if you are adding any liquid as well as the rusk (roughly equal volumes), and do you work the mixture well berfore stuffing? Both of these will stop the crumbly texture.
And what casings do you use?
Wohoki
Registered Member

Crumbly sausages

Postby Vernon Smith » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:35 am

Yes, I forgot to mention that I add chilled water to the mix, same weight as the rusk. I think I am mixing all the ingredients well enough by hand but I will try mixing some more. I am using a mincer plate with holes about 5mm dia. I have a gut feeling that this is a bit coarse so I asked Steph Brooks at Sausagemaking to send me a finer one. I am hoping this might help a bit is I mince a second time.
I am using Sausagemakers own hog casings soaked as recommended for 2+hours in water before using. These are quite difficult to unravel and slip onto the filler tube. In fact this is the most time consuming job of all and the casings don't slide off the tube at all easily but I can live with this. Perhaps an instance where practice makes perfect. You seem an old hand at this. Thanks for your help. Any more tips will be welcome.
Regards,
Vernon
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:45 am

Hi VS

I personally soak my casings overnight as I find it makes them more plyable. Try putting a few drops of veg oil on the tube before threading the casings, this will make them come off easier. I know this sounds stupid but how many twists are you giving the sausages before you cut them? I only ask because when I first started I was not twisting enough which meant the end of the sausage was open and some filling did get out in the pan. I find the best way to cook my sausages, other than on ther BBQ is in the oven. Keep on keeping on it really is worth it!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:26 am

I agree with soaking overnight, they are just that bit softer.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Bursting Sausages

Postby Vernon Smith » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:45 am

Hi Wohoki & Welsh Wizard,
Thanks for your tips. Overnight soaking and a bit of veg oil sounds promising. I also got a tip from Zulululu to reduce bursting that I should cut down a bit on the rusk. I will try that too. I am only giving my sausages 1 or 1.1/2 twists but judging from what you said, that isn't enough. What should I give them? bearing in mind that 2 twists becomes 4 when the following sausage is twisted in the opposite direction. Thanks again for your hints. Just for information I breed and slaughter my own pigs here and I am just setting up a smoke house for saveloys, ham and bacon. This might be running before I can walk but the sausages taste so good my enthusiasm and optimism are out of control. Yes I agree it is all worthwhile. I am sure I just need more experience. Perhaps you had the same teething troubles when you started.
Vernon Smith
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:07 pm

Hi VS

Personally I am a three twist man myself!

I also use a pin head rusk at 10% and the same weight of water and I dont seem to have many problems.

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Return to Beginners