QUANTITIES OF ADDITIVES.......

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

QUANTITIES OF ADDITIVES.......

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:00 pm

Although some indication is given on some items it would be helpful if there was some guidance on the following from all you experts.

Dextrose per Kilo of meat.
Onion powder per kilo of meat.
And it wouldn't hurt to list a lot of the others too.

With things like Rusk and water .....if an upper and lower limit is given we can use out discretion.

I know tastes vary but it is so easy to make a mistake.......I already mixed in supaphos with supapres mistaking the handwriting as being the same thing.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:00 pm

I've rattled on about this before, but you don't need these things in your bangers, unless you're a commercial producer. Meat, rusk, water/stock/wine, and spices are all you need, otherwise you might as well be buying from Asda.

Dextrose, superphos etc. have no place in a home-made snag. If you want onion in a banger, grate an onion, same with garlic, chile or whatever.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby mosler » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:15 pm

I tend to be 100% in line with Wohoki's post on the subject of addatives. One of the main benefits of do it yourself sausage making is avoiding those extranenous ingredients which the commercial producer must include to stay profitable.

However I would like to mention two things:
-dextrose itself is simply a form of sugar. I don't feel that adding regular table sugar or brown sugar is 'ok' while dextrose is 'not ok', simply because I have the first two hanging around in my pantry more often. For me, dextrose should be grouped with the spices, rather than listed as an addative.

**disclaimer: I'm from the US and am new to this forum. I also have 0 (zero) experience with sausages from the UK. But with that in mind I offer the following opinion in all sincerity and am not trying to pick a fight**
-The use of rusk or cereal in a sausage is new to me. My assumption is that it was originally used out of necessity during hard times to stretch the amount of sausage you produced from a given amount of meat. Over time, this practice became an established part of the cuisine and a sausage lacking rusk would be considered to have the wrong taste and texture and altogether lacking in authenticity.

I read a recipe here that calls for rusk and assume that's authentic. I read a recipe from Rytek's book which calls for soy flour to be added and I consider that an addative, knowing full well that none of the polish grandmothers out there are adding soy protien to their keilbasa.

While it may be obvious to the old pros out there, I think it's at least worth a discussion of how to discern whether or not the use of grain as a filler should be thought of as an addative (non-authentic) or not.
mosler
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:31 pm

Hi Mosie.....

I hear what you say and am inclined to agree with you.,.....although making sausages was a way of getting rid of all the offcuts and less desirable pieces of meat etc breadcrumbs were added as not only a filler but a binder for the meat and fat....after all bread was our staple food in those days....and the spices were added to improve the flavours.

To me a sausage without breadcrumbs by preference or rusk by necessity would be a burger in a skin....

But we have all the other meat and offal user uppers in faggots and savoury ducks .

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Return to Beginners