In at the deep end.

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Bacon

Postby vinner » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:24 pm

When you put the bacon in the fridge to dry, it is helpful to put it on a rack to promote air circulation, or put in on a rack on your counter top and point a fan on it for 4 hours or so. The idea is to get a tacky film on the outside that will hold any smoke you do. I use apple wood and cold smoke (below 4o degrees farenheit) which means I have about a 2 week window in which to make bacon here in Houston, Texas. I smoke it for 4 hours.
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:18 pm

Spot on Paul ta

Re the Biltong box, are there any instructions on the site for building one?

I cant find it. However according to the wife there are a lot of things I cant find these days!

Cheers WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby jpj » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:37 am

have you looked at aris's site here? there's diagrams . . .
jpj
Registered Member

Postby Lurch and his tribe » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:45 pm

Had my first taste of home made bacon today and very good it was to. Despite washing well before drying the skin was very salty so I have trimmed it off. I will use far less cure that side next time. Thanks for everyones help much appreciated.
Lurch and his tribe
Registered Member

Postby vinner » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:50 pm

If you cut down the cure amount, you will need to increase the cure time. Another option, which you have experienced is to fillet the skin off (my preference. A Texas thang, I guess).
" To be the stewards of what we have been given, to reap what we sow, to enjoy the harmony of it all.

me
vinner
Registered Member

Postby Lurch and his tribe » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:43 pm

Ok so the second batch of bacon is underway and will be ready for hanging on sunday. Have kept the cure ratio the same but made sure more has gone on the flesh side. The bit im now nervous abt is opening my ham after its first 15 days. Will let you know how it goes sunday!
Lurch and his tribe
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Beginners