Hickory smoke powder in bacon dry cure

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Hickory smoke powder in bacon dry cure

Postby saucisson » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:46 pm

How much would you use per kilo of meat? I'm using 31g of Oddley's recipe for the other ingredients.

Thanks,

Dave
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby Paul Kribs » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:10 pm

It's recommended use is 0.5 grams per kilo, but I use a slightly heaped teaspoon about 3 grams when adding to a bacon cure. 0.5 grams didn't give much of a smokey flavour.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby saucisson » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:33 pm

Thanks Paul, I noticed it was 0.5g per kilo finished product, but assumed you'd need more for a cure, I'll give it a go.
saucisson
Site Admin

Postby welsh wizard » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:33 pm

Hi both

Talking of cures I have just cured my first loin of bacon with Francos cure and whilst 100% better than shop bought (no white gooey mess in the pan) the flavour is lacking. I agree it really does depend on what quality of meat you start with but even so I was wondering if anyone would care to share what, if anything they use as an addition to Francos cure i.e. brown sugar, smoke powder, black pepper, extra salt, herbs or spices etc.

Cheers WW - I know questions questions...........
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby hmmm sausages » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:05 am

i cured my first loin too recently, the quality of the meat is superb but hte flavour was, like you say, lacking!i used a large dose of maple syrup with my curing, mext time i will try without and see if it works better to make a lsightly more flavousome bacon
hmmm sausages
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:02 am

welsh wizard

I use the organic cure as is and like the taste of the bacon. If I fancy some smoked bacon I just add some smoke powder to the cure. Being a Bradley man, are you going to try cold smoking it??

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:24 pm

Thanks Hmmm S and Paul.

You raise an interesting point Paul, I will smoke the bacon once I get a side of salmon or two to go in there as well. Week B4L I cold smoked 2 sides of salmon and 5lb of sage and onion sausages, both of which were very yummy indeed.

I will have a go at the organic cure as you suggust, but have you tried the std cure and if so is thera a descernable difference?

Bring on the spell check WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:34 pm

welsh wizard

Some time back Franco sent me a freebie of sweet cure, although quite nice it was more like sweet pork than sweetcure bacon, I keep meaning to adjust the salt but always go for the organic cure. Those are the only ones I have tried.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:50 pm

Thamks Paul advice is always welcome.........
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Wilf » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:40 pm

Although I have a Bradley Smoker, I always add the hickory powder to the cure when doing bacon, and like Paul, I up the quantity a bit so you can notice the flavour as the reccomended dose is a bit low, also works well in a traditional banger giving a subtle hint of smoke flavour. Been mentioned in other posts, black treacle is another godd additive, about a tablespoon per kg.
Wilf
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:10 pm

Thanks for all the tips.

I have just done another lot of loin and have included a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper and a table spoon of soft brown sugar - will let you know how I get on.

OOI does anyone have taste preference over loin / belly?

Cheers WW.

PS will be smoking one of the loins on Sunday morning! no church for me that day :roll:
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:04 pm

Belly, every time for bacon. I have smoked whole loins, but I cure the "eye" alone with #2 powder for eating raw and use the fat in sausages.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Return to Beginners