A big thanks and another question.

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

A big thanks and another question.

Postby Rough Country Boy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:25 pm

Gidday

A very big thank you to www.sausagemaking.org and all you good jokers that are here.

I killed my sheep the other day and after most went straight into the deep freeze, I boned out one forequarter, and saved a bit extra fat. I weighted it at just on 11kg so weighted out the 25% fat and minced the fat. Then when I started to mince the meat I realised that the forequarter being the fattiest part of the animal probably already had more than 30% fat so put the fat asside to make some soap out of later.

I then added the 2% salt, mixed in a few other things like had been suggested on here and tried a little patty.

I obviously hadn't put enough of the other stuff in so, being a rough country Kiwi boy I threw a lot more stuff in, like a packet or two of peper and chilli and then a clove of my giant garlic.

I then put all this through the mincer again but my thingie I had made to put it into the skins didn't work, I'll come to that later, but perfect looking naked sausages came out which I then crumbed.

Wow, a bit strong, but bloody beaties anyway. So thank you jokers for this site and all the encouragement because without you all, all I would have probably done was to think about doing it.

Now my thingie for putting on the skins. What size does the spout need to be because I got mine made at about an inch and it seems way to big.
Cheers
Jack
Just a rough Country Boy
Rough Country Boy
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:10 pm

Now my thingie for putting on the skins. What size does the spout need to be because I got mine made at about an inch and it seems way to big.

Hi RCB
It sounds like the stuffer tube is of too large a diameter for the casings. I have a set of three, in 5/8" for lamb casings, 3/4" for medium hog casings, and 1" for large hog casings. You might look around for different size tubes for your stuffer.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Return to Beginners