? about sage from beginner

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

? about sage from beginner

Postby BBQer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:37 pm

Hi, I'm new to sausage making. Just one go of it so far - 5 lbs of breakfast sausage and 5 of mild italian.

Been BBQing for several years and sausage making seemed like a (il)logical? extension of that hobby.

Anyway, bought a small meat grinder and did the first go in bulk form. My stuffer just arrived, so the weekend will see a bratwurst and bangers attempt.

One question I can't find an answer to. What is the difference between ground sage and rubbed sage?

I've seen rubbed sage listed in many sausage recipes. I have a lot of ground sage, but no rubbed. Used the last in the breakfast sausage incident.

Thanks.
B's 'n Q's
BBQer
Registered Member

Postby TJ Buffalo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:39 am

You know, I've wondered too but never found out until now. Here's what I found on a forum:
"I see recipes that call for "rubbed sage." how, exactly, does one rub sage? thank you for your time. best, jg
Rubbed sage is an unusual process of crushing the dried leaves that results in a sort of fluffy texture. I never really liked this texture and don't understand why sage is the only herb they choose to preserve in this way. I prefer to use ground sage if I can find it because it it easier to handle, measure and mix with other herbs."
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

Postby Rik vonTrense » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:48 am

Well in the UK it has a different meaning.

Sage being a herby plant is dried in bunches now you can strip the leaves off and crush them so that they break into small sections of leaf and this is sold as Dried Sage and when used in recipes it resembles tea leaves and stays visible like flecks of sage in the finished product.

This Dried sage can be further reduced by pounding in a mortar and pestle or in a herb mill into a powdered form so that the taste is now there but not the visible signs in the product.

That is my understanding of this anyway.

If a recipe calls for a teaspoon of sage then I use the dried sage.
If it calls for a teaspoon of ground sage then I reduce it to powder. It is not sold in a powdered form in this country.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Return to Beginners