CHICKEN SAUSAGES...........

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

CHICKEN SAUSAGES...........

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:07 pm

I boned two packs of chicken quarters and one pack of four chicken legs that were bought from Tesco El Cheepo blue stripe at about �1.29 each and gleaned two kilos of meat, fat and skin off of the bones.

I cut the meat up into small pieces and put these in the fridge overnight to chill. I put them through my biggest screen about a half inch (5 holes to the screen) and mixed in some pork spice mix and some smoke powder I also added 125g of rusk with a chefs measure of 5 spice powder.

I gave it a quick mix and put this in the chiller again for about six hours.

I reminced it through my 3.5mm screen and added about half a pint of concentrated stock from the pressure cooked chicken bones, and gave it a really good mix in the kenwood on fast speed. I cooked a little patty an it was deliciously tender and almost melted in your mouth.

So back into the chiller to bring the meat temperature to almost zero and then I packed about three pounds of the chicken paste into my new stuffer.

Using the smallest tube I slid on about 1.5 metres of the smallest collagen
from my jar of olive oil and I was ready to start winding.

Jeeez......it came out at an alarming speed and snaked it's way along the worksurface. I linked them up and made about a dozen chipolatas in the link. I made about five dozen chipolatas in all and they looked and felt just right. The olive oil leaves a gloss on the collagen skins and they look
as if they are natural sheep casings. I cooked a couple of loose ones and they really are nice and I think the kids are going to like them.

I have put them in the fridge to mature and we will see how they are on Monday evening .....I think they would be nice with a chilli dip maybe with noodles.

But I am impressed with the new vertical stuffer, it works fine for me and the left overs were not enough to make a decent 2 oz burger with and as I have previously said the cleaning of it is a doddle.

The Polish Kielbasa that I made as the last item on my Reber. I was wondering what to do with them as a meal ....I suppose you could have one ring fried or grilled and the middle filled with chips or it could be cut into small chunks for a salad etc etc. or usedd as sausages in suitable lengths,

What I did was to chop into bite sized chunks, batter and deep fry them for crispy chinese pork balls......they were delish and a lot cheaper than the �4 per portion from the chinese take away. Could do the same with the chicken sausages I suppose for a variation,......they do like their chinese and all other take away meals in this house.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Mum » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:50 am

Those chicken sausages sound tasty. Thank you for sharing :) :)
Mum
Registered Member

Return to Beginners