Calculations

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Calculations

Postby Boycebangers » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:29 am

Hi

I am sure I have read somewhere on this forum about the percentages of each/various ingrediants to make a perfect banger!
But I don't seem to be able to find it.....

Can someone post the general rule of thumb stuff with regards the percentages of each ingrediant in a basic recipe ie.80% meat, 5%fat, 5% rusk and so on.
I can then print it out and have it to hand when production begins and it means that I can calculate the proportions of each ingrediant beforehand, this could take some time....long time since I did maths at school!!

Thanks for all your help.
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:37 am

It does depend very much on personal taste, but my rule of thumb is 10% rusk (but I use 5% if the meat is exeptional) and the same amount of water/stock or wine. The fat content of the meat is ideally about 25-30%, but I usually find that I don't have enough, so I just bung it all in. 40% is too much: tasty bangers, but it is dispiriting to watch all the fat run out leaving you with an emaciated chipolata at the end.
Seasoning is a personal thing, but prepare some meat, season it and fry a lttle patty of it to taste, then adjust it. KEEP A NOTEBOOK!
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Boycebangers » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:46 am

Sorry if I am appearing a bit stupid here....

So based on the given calculations, the rest is made up of meat?

A note book is a very good idea and have already started my 2nd one due to the fact that I am moving to a very remote part of the Falklands where computers/internet access is quite an event so can't just pop onto the forum for advice or such. Hence I now have writers cramp from everything that I am noting down!
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:55 am

Yeah, the percentages are as a proportion of the total meat+fat weight:

1 kilo of meat should contain 300g of fat (and 700g lean), and have 100g of rusk and 100ml of water added to it.

Sorry, I wasn't too clear.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Boycebangers » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:06 am

It was clear enough...for someone who knows what they are doing!!!!

Thanks...all neatly written idiotproof style in my note book now!
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:15 am

I forgot, I generally add 1% salt as well.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:27 pm

Dont forget to take your fishing rod to the Falklands, best sea trout fishing ever!

Re sausages I go fo 80% meat, 20% fat (usually a pork shoulder will give you approx these ammounts), 10% rusk, and the same weight of rusk in water. then added your mix or herbs and spices. I find pin head rusk is the best I have used but I have used breadcrumb in the past although this is not preferable because the yeast can taint the meat. But what the hell, if you eat them quick enough I have never had a problem!

Tight lines WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Boycebangers » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:59 am

Hubby is the fishing nut in our house so I expect to see him disapearing for long periods of time!
I wouldn't mind so much except he always comes home empty handed, I am sure he just goes to have a sleep!
Not really complaining I am not a very big fan of fish, but may consider trying it if it made a half decent sausage!

Have you been fishing down that way?
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi BB

No I havent been fishing over there but I do have a mate or two that go out there in a military capacity and they swear by the fishing. I have dropped large hints but it seems as if they are falling on deaf ears at the moment! I expect they dont want me showing them up :lol:

Cheers and let us know how hubby gets on.......

WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Boycebangers » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:43 am

WELSH WIZARD....You are more than welcome to come for a free holiday....you can spend your days fishing in exchange for help with sausage making and butchery! :lol:
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Postby welsh wizard » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:22 am

Blood and Thunder Boycebangers that is an offer that needs serious consideration, many thanks. Please let me know when you get out there I think I may be able to cadge a lift............

Cheers very muchley WW
welsh wizard
Registered Member

Postby Boycebangers » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:02 pm

Will be splashing down in 5 weeks, all ready (I hope) to take on my small holding!
Boycebangers
Registered Member

Return to Beginners