My first sausage

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

My first sausage

Postby georgebaker » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:10 pm

Hi
Just finished my first batch and want to get some feed back on what I did and the ratios I used. The mixture looked very fatty, there don't seem enough herbs, I am concerned that I did not use enough breadcrumbs but thats all I had to hand and I am not sure about the amount of nutmeg.

MIXTURE
3.5 lb pork (Belly and back fat mixed)
4oz breadcrumbs

30gm salt
10gm sugar (sucrose)

8 gm sage (fresh from the garden today)
4 gm marjoram (fresh from the garden today)
21gm parsley (fresh)

2 gm preground paprika
10gm ground white ground pepper
1 gm whole mace
1/4 nutmeg
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp mustard seeds
3/4 tbs black peppercorns

200 ml water (but I kept adding to get the mincer to grind)

Minced meat course blade Kenwood 901 chef
ground spices and mixed dry ingredience in

THEN I THINK I MESSED UP 'cos

a) I tried to middle size blade mince and sauasge fill at the same time and the mincer did not seem to be able to cope--changed to

b) changed blade to course and sauasge fill at the same time and the mincer did not seem happy--changed to

c) fill only using the once course minced mixture--very rough cut-- so

d) course mince again then sausage fill separatly

I seem to have about 11 or 12 feet. Which I have been told is about the right length except that I have about half a pound of mixture over

Not tried linking, just one step at a time

Thanks in advance for your comments
George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:34 pm

Looks like a nice recipe, but you only mention a mix to add the spices. The more bangers I make, the more I've come to appreciate the need for a good, hard mixing step. It improves the texture of the sausage immesurably: just treat the finished stuffing like bread dough and pound it for a good five to ten minutes (I guess you could use a dough hook on a Kenwood.)
Also, I use a hand cranked mincer with a stuffer thing (a Porkert #5) and I'd never try to mince and stuff at the same time, as the one time I did it nearly gave me a rupture, so I guess the same is true of your machine: just too much stress.
Let us know how they eat, like I said it sounds a nice recipe.

(As to linking, check Mr Kribbs's website, it's not as hard as you think, and the satisfaction of a tray of REAL bangers will make you to sleep with a smile on your face :D )
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby georgebaker » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:05 pm

Hi
my own comments-- not enough herbs, too much pepper, but I know why. It was because when I scaled the original recipe I got the sums wrong for the pepper corns

Thanks to everyone who helped me get this far

George
georgebaker
Registered Member

Return to Beginners