Freezing bacon/vacuum seal

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

Freezing bacon/vacuum seal

Postby mmab9 » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:06 pm

Can anyone tell me if you can freeze bacon and how long will it keep or can you vacuum seal and how long will that keep. :?
mmab9
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:31 pm

If you vacuum pack it properly then it will keep for two weeks or more
and if you vacupak it and then freeze it.....it will keep for two years.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:38 pm

Properly cured bacon in the piece will keep, wraped in greaseproof paper, in the top of the fridge for months and months, probably for a year or more. That is the whole point of curing it.

It will dry out over this time, and become less suitable for frying as rashers, but it is still superb for making lardons and for flavouring soups and cassaroles.
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:48 pm

It could well be the case with properly dry cured bacon .......how often have I been caught out in the past when bacon I have purchased being in the fridge for a couple of weeks ....has gone rancid and sticky and smelly......and tastes awful.
Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:40 am

To be fair, my butcher stocks superb GOS Wiltshire cured bacon, bought in by the whole side, and it keeps so well I've found the odd end in the fridge that has dried so well it takes a hacksaw to cut it :lol:
Wohoki
Registered Member

Return to Beginners