scary mould on salami

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

scary mould on salami

Postby andyb » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:12 pm

my salami and chorizo is now covered in white and dark green mould..
is this too much ??

Andy bImage
andyb
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:46 pm

Andy.....

my experience only applies to cheese but the hairy type of spoors you are exhibiting is Mucor Mold and is refered to as "cat fur mold" because it can be anywhere between white and black with the greys in betweeen.

Cat fur mold is usually caused through handling the item with infected hands and cross infecting.

This mucor mold is toxic to humans and should be avoided.

Of course you may have an experienced meat man come along and tell you it is perfectly okay but the oly okay stuff I have seen is like a white powdery deposit like salt precipitating through the skin.

You could take a white vinegar rag and wipe them off and see if they reappear but get advice from a better source that myself.

I have only dealt with cheese and mucor mold.

Sugggest you put it into Google so that you know what you are dealing with.

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 01, 2006 8:29 am

All I know about molds can be written on a postage stamp. As I understand it a thin white or pale green mold is OK. I certainly wouldn't chance eating any of those, there seems a multitude of different types of mold growing. I would discard them.
This is just my view, maybe someone with the relevant knowledge could reply.

Regards, Paul Kribs
Paul Kribs
Registered Member

Postby Wohoki » Mon May 01, 2006 8:41 am

I think it's best to be safe and try again. Did you use a starter culture in them?

If you found a sausage that looked like these on a plate at the back of the fridge would you eat it? I wouldn't.

How do they smell?
Wohoki
Registered Member

Postby Oddley » Mon May 01, 2006 10:02 am

Hi Andyb I don't profess to be an expert with salami and moulds, but that looks decidedly dodgy to me. Below is an image of Franco's salami that are ok.

Oddley
Registered Member

Postby andyb » Mon May 01, 2006 5:38 pm

thanks for the advice.. I can't think what went wrong we did use starter culture ...guess you can't win them all !
they still smell good.. but i suppose its better to be safe than sorry
Andy :( :(
andyb
Registered Member

Postby Rik vonTrense » Mon May 01, 2006 6:27 pm

You could always go up to your local council and ask the Public Health if they
would test the mold to see it it was harmful.

Just a suggestion rather than throw them away or take any risks,

Rik vonTrense
Rik vonTrense
Registered Member

Postby andyb » Mon May 01, 2006 8:02 pm

i might just try that, there are quite a few more than those shown so I am really loathe to consign them to the bin.

thanks

Andy
andyb
Registered Member

Postby Franco » Mon May 01, 2006 8:27 pm

I personally wouldn't discard them just yet, they look as though they were matured in an area that was too damp and should be ok underneath the mould.

Before you throw them away give them a good scrub with vinegar and then make sur the skin is peeled off, I would then taste a small amount and if your'e not ill within 12 hours you should be ok :lol:

before vinegar
after vinegar!

Franco
Franco
Site Admin

Postby andyb » Tue May 02, 2006 12:30 pm

thanks franco, I think you are right about the damp..the temp was fine but I had no way of measuring the humidity..and it is devon!!

I will try the method you suggested (although the dog might be the first guinea pig)

Andy
andyb
Registered Member

Postby wittdog » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:07 am

andyb wrote:thanks franco, I think you are right about the damp..the temp was fine but I had no way of measuring the humidity..and it is devon!!

I will try the method you suggested (although the dog might be the first guinea pig)

Andy

You can buy an hydronomer (sp) to measure the Humidity..they are realitivly cheap here in the states...if there isn't a sausage/reseraunt supply store near by check out a cigar shop...they will carry them..
wittdog
Registered Member

Postby dougal » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:13 pm

wittdog wrote:
andyb wrote:... I had no way of measuring the humidity...

You can buy an hydronomer (sp) to measure the Humidity..they are realitivly cheap here in the states...if there isn't a sausage/reseraunt supply store near by check out a cigar shop...they will carry them..

Check Google (or Froogle) and eBay for
hygrometer
and "humidity meter"
all sorts of folk use them, from orchid-growers to reptile owners...

Just beware if buying a digital one with a remote sensor -
- almost all (and all the cheap ones) have a remote temperature-only sensor, and only measure humidity at the base station (doh).

If buying a controller (humidistat, hygrostat) do check what its trying to achieve! A changeover output is fine, but something intended for bathroom use (switching on when the humidity is too high) differs from the sort that switches on when the humidity is too low (which is what most people might need).
A simple meter should indicate what sort of control might be needed.
dougal
Registered Member

Postby Spuddy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:46 pm

Andyb

Echoing Franco's comments, they look OK to me.
I've seen, eaten and survived worse looking examples than that. Wipe it off with a salt/vinegar soaked cloth and carry on.
I'm more concerned with some of Franco's ones in his photos...scary :shock:
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.
Spuddy
Site Admin

Scary mould

Postby Gen » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:22 pm

Hi Andy

Did you try your mouldy sausage (is your dog still alive?). I have a similar issue with rather a lot of Chorizo in my shed & it would be a shame if it is wasted. Mine looks a bit like yours, but furry all over.

Gen
Gen
Newly Registered

Return to Beginners