First time sausages

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

First time sausages

Postby Nobby » Tue May 02, 2006 12:13 am

Had a sausage making kit for my birthday & used it for the first time at the weekend. Made a Kilogram of traditional english pork sausage which was a great success & went down very well with everybody who tried it. They have all placed their orders.
I was surprised as to how easy it was. I think I am going to enjoy this new found interest & looking forward to making many more.
One question to anyone out there is do I store my hog casings in a brine solution or in a sort of thick paste of salt & is table salt O.K.
Nobby
Newly Registered

Postby TJ Buffalo » Tue May 02, 2006 1:26 am

Hi Nobby
Congratulations on the sausage working out well. I usually buy casings that have been packed in brine. I get out the hank, separate out the individual casings, then put each in a ziploc baggie with some kosher salt and put them in the fridge.
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator

casings

Postby hoggie » Tue May 02, 2006 9:20 am

hi nobby, glad your sausages were a success. regarding the casings, they come packed in salt, and all i do is to take the amount i need then put the rest at the bottom of the fridge. they will last for months. all the best. john.
hoggie
Registered Member

Return to Beginners