And I only wanted some advice on black pudding..............

Beginners FAQ on sausage making, meat curing etc may often be found at the head of each relevant section, but here is the place to ask experienced users for advice if you are still stuck or need more information...we're here to help!

And I only wanted some advice on black pudding..............

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sat May 06, 2006 12:17 pm

Hello all you clever people,

I really only wanted to know why half my black puddings split when, being somewhat computer illiterate, I stumbled across the Forum. Now I wonder when I'm ever going to get time to make any more sausages or black puddings and I now have to ask myself if I am really clever enough to continue in any case?

I only found the site last night and have already spent hours reading about a traindriving/sausagemaking/furniture maker from south-east England; had lessons from a Swiss Canadian on cutting up a pig and how to correctly sharpen my knives; considered the ph of water and read (I can't in all honesty say learned) of the difference between nitrate and nitrite, courtesy of a couple of people in the USA. The mind boggles at what I might get to know about in due course from the members in Azerbaijan and Kathmandu!

Already I have discovered that I should have been adding iced water to my sausage mix and that might answer my thoughts on the 'density' of my sausages when cooked.

Now I must get off this site somehow, so........ the water's in the fridge, I'll put the pork in the freezer for a time, pour myself a stiff gin and tonic and start mincing.

Thanks for all the help I've already received and although I still have the problem with the black pudding - quite apart from the mess I make - I'm very confident that with all the talented people on this site, somebody will come up with the answer.

:oops:
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 5:26 pm
Location: Bulgaria

Postby TJ Buffalo » Sat May 06, 2006 2:15 pm

Hi Patricia
Welcome to the forum. I can't say that I've tried black pudding, but Ian, Paul Kribs and others were talking about the same problem a while back, here's the link: http://forum.sausagemaking.org/viewtopic.php?t=840&highlight=black+pudding+split&sid=0f4e4d714b019479a15ca9ac31212ecb
I just searched the forums using Black AND Pudding AND Split. I hope things work out for the next batch.
TJ
TJ Buffalo
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:07 am
Location: New Jersey, USA

Bursting black pudding

Postby Patricia Thornton » Sun May 07, 2006 7:04 am

Hello TJ Buffalo,

Thank you for your help, I hadn't previously found the link to black puddings.

Your help might have solved my problem since it was the puddings at the bottom of the pan that split; they may well have been touching the metal and getting too much heat.

Personally, I'm a bit squeamish about eating black pudding but make them for my husband. Here in Bulgaria one cannot buy black pudding and as I only make a batch every six months or so, my husband thinks that even the split ones are wonderful. Now to find out if I can freeze them.........

Regards, :roll:
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 5:26 pm
Location: Bulgaria

Postby Wohoki » Sun May 07, 2006 8:10 am

Blood puddings freeze beautifully: I get my father-in-law to bring me a load from Barnsley market whenever he vistits (I can only get those rank little puddings in plastic tubes here :cry: ) and they keep in perfect shape.
Wohoki
Registered Member
 
Posts: 712
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:42 pm
Location: Hampshire

Postby pokerpete » Mon May 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Wohoki wrote:Blood puddings freeze beautifully: I get my father-in-law to bring me a load from Barnsley market whenever he vistits (I can only get those rank little puddings in plastic tubes here :cry: ) and they keep in perfect shape.


I miss the northern knobbly black puds, as you say there are only poor quality stick puds down here. Disgusting things.
pokerpete
Registered Member
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: And I only wanted some advice on black pudding..........

Postby pokerpete » Mon May 08, 2006 4:31 pm

Patricia Thornton wrote:Hello all you clever people,

I really only wanted to know why half my black puddings split when, being somewhat computer illiterate, I stumbled across the Forum. Now I wonder when I'm ever going to get time to make any more sausages or black puddings and I now have to ask myself if I am really clever enough to continue in any case?

I only found the site last night and have already spent hours reading about a traindriving/sausagemaking/furniture maker from south-east England; had lessons from a Swiss Canadian on cutting up a pig and how to correctly sharpen my knives; considered the ph of water and read (I can't in all honesty say learned) of the difference between nitrate and nitrite, courtesy of a couple of people in the USA. The mind boggles at what I might get to know about in due course from the members in Azerbaijan and Kathmandu!

Already I have discovered that I should have been adding iced water to my sausage mix and that might answer my thoughts on the 'density' of my sausages when cooked.

Now I must get off this site somehow, so........ the water's in the fridge, I'll put the pork in the freezer for a time, pour myself a stiff gin and tonic and start mincing.

Thanks for all the help I've already received and although I still have the problem with the black pudding - quite apart from the mess I make - I'm very confident that with all the talented people on this site, somebody will come up with the answer.

:oops:


Are you using fresh pigs blood and beef bungs. It would be start if we knew that.

The iced water helps with the shelf life, and nothing else. In fact in the commercial sausage manufacturing world of high speed bowl cutters slush ice is used because of the temperature increase caused by the cutting action.
pokerpete
Registered Member
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Surrey

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 08, 2006 5:18 pm

Pokerpete

If you are missing puddings from 'up north' try Franco's mix.. A guy who used to live in Middlesborough told me he had a butchers every other shop in his street and they sold many varieties each, and my puddings were the best he'd ever tasted. Now my head can't fit through the door.

Regards, Paul Kribs
User avatar
Paul Kribs
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:41 am
Location: South London, England

Postby pokerpete » Mon May 08, 2006 5:44 pm

Paul Kribs wrote:Pokerpete

If you are missing puddings from 'up north' try Franco's mix.. A guy who used to live in Middlesborough told me he had a butchers every other shop in his street and they sold many varieties each, and my puddings were the best he'd ever tasted. Now my head can't fit through the door.

Regards, Paul Kribs


Thanks for that Paul, I'd take a look if i knew where to find Franco's recipe.
I just wanted to help Patricia with her black puds to start with, to solve her problem.
I must say this is a very enjoyable site.
pokerpete
Registered Member
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Surrey

Postby Paul Kribs » Mon May 08, 2006 5:59 pm

If you fancy a go click this link and start the ball rolling..
http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/Black_Pudding.html

Regards, Paul Kribs
User avatar
Paul Kribs
Registered Member
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:41 am
Location: South London, England

Postby pokerpete » Tue May 09, 2006 2:49 pm

Paul Kribs wrote:If you fancy a go click this link and start the ball rolling..
http://www.sausagemaking.org/acatalog/Black_Pudding.html

Regards, Paul Kribs


I have noticed that Franco is in Bolton, the heart of black pudding land. That's a good start then. Depending on his age I'll bet we know, or knew a lot of the same butchers. Unfortunately many good butchers shops are no longer trading. We've lost our four local butchers down here over not many years.
pokerpete
Registered Member
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Surrey

Black Pudding

Postby Patricia Thornton » Wed May 10, 2006 10:34 am

Hello everyone,

Thank you all for the advice, help and information.

With regard to my black pudding I have only ever used the mix purchased from Sausagemaking.org. and use hog casings. As I said in a previous post, I am rather squeamish about some things and doubt I will ever be able to collect fresh blood to make it from scratch.

In any case, him indoors, who considers himself something of an expert on the taste of such things, tells me it's as good as, if not better than, any he has ever tasted! A compliment indeed, since I still smart from the dreadful journey he once took me on to find a shop apparently famous for sausages and black pudding and somewhere in the wilds of the Yorkshire moors, that turned out to be most disappointing to him. It is possible his taste buds have been corrupted by the many curries I make but his praise of my black pudding it is a comfort to me.

There aren't many puddings left from the last batch and possibly none left to freeze. I'll make some more in the near future and with all your help I'm hoping these won't split.

I'll let you know.
Patty
Patricia Thornton
Registered Member
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 5:26 pm
Location: Bulgaria

Postby Fallow Buck » Wed May 10, 2006 1:57 pm

Patricia,

For the puddings that split there is a recipe somewhere on the forum that uses the bits in a pork sausage. By all accounts it is very good.

I thought it was a handy back up plan in case there were problems.

Rgds,
FB
In God We trust, Everyone Else Pays Cash.
Fallow Buck
Registered Member
 
Posts: 507
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:04 am
Location: UK

Postby pokerpete » Wed May 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Patricia.
Perhaps you might try not to stuff the casing so tightly. Depending on the mix there will be quite a few ingredients that will swell when you boil them.
Well of course, I didn't mean boil them hard. Put the puds in the boiler cold in cold water with plenty of room to spare. Slowly bring up to a healthy simmer and cook through. I think that it just might work as the mix won't be pressuring and weakening the casing. So let us know how you get on.
pokerpete
Registered Member
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 5:47 pm
Location: Surrey


Return to Beginners

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron